52 mg td chevette help

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits 52 mg td chevette help

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    brandon
    Participant

@nezohc

Just aquired this on trade and was trying to get info about it because I did not receive any with it.any help appreciated.nezohc2016-05-27 16:33:41

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I’m sure this isn’t the kind of help you were hoping for, but NICE CAR!Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
    Welcome to our group!
    I’m know SOMEONE will be able to provide you with the help you REALLY were looking for!:lol:
    Glad you’re here!

Amor Conquista Todo

brandon
    Participant

@nezohc

Thank you .it’s mainly info about the manufacturer.

Steve Struchen
    Participant

@mustang_evets

Try the “Reference Library” link in the bottom green (topaz?) box to the left. there is a lot of manufacturer info in that area. You may have to look around to find info that applies to your particular car.
    Welcome to this site and enjoy!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Finally! A GREEN one!

Car looks good. The fuel tank/spare tire carrier look legit. So too the removable side covers on the engine.

PMOSSBERG2016-05-28 10:37:13

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

A read through the manufacturer comparison thread is also a great education. There is a post on the Daytona 

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

brandon
    Participant

@nezohc

Thanks for the help guys I’m still working out the little problems with it but soild so far.I mainly keep finding vw based ones in this brand I’m struggling to find info on the chevette based model.nezohc2016-05-31 10:04:27

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Not sure that is a Chevette Engine.  Mine is “painfully” 1980’s stock and it looks significantly different. 

The Pontiac T1600 (I think that is what it was called) was another variation of the GM Engine used in BCW Model 52’s – which I think were 99.9% identical to the Chevy Engine.  
    Were Ford engines used in MiGi’s too?

Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Yes. Ford Pinto and Mustang II 2000 and 2300cc engines were commonly used for kits. Parts for the Ford engines are MUCH easier to find than the Chevy.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

brandon
    Participant

@nezohc

From everything I have researched its a 1.6 chevette motor missing all of the electrical components for the fuel adjustment solenoid on the carb .so it’s running open loop from my understanding of it so far.but I maybe wrong the guy said chevette he didn’t know which year they used tho he guessed 84 because the title

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

nezohc email Rich Drake he handles all kinds of Chevette parts

rdchevette@gmail.com
    He can help with questions about the Chevette motor

ray102016-06-03 15:21:35

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The ’80’s were a terrible time for engines. They typically had 3 miles of vacuum hoses with dozens of time delay vacuum check valves, solenoids, and relays all in an attempt to meet federal emission regulations. If your engine is missing all this stuff, I can only think that is a good thing.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

I double checked – it is a Chevette engine, BUT without alot of the pollution control crap that mine still has.  Funny thing is that yours does have a shroud over the pulley system (mine does not) so that you won’t catch your necktie whilst working on the beast!

If you don’t have the air-pump and set-up of a line to the cat, your front belt system is a bit shorter than the stock confirguration too.
    One of these days I’m going to pull all the emissions stuff off of mine too.
    Tom  

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

brandon
    Participant

@nezohc

I’ve been reading his forum he made for chevettes.I’m the type to read and research before I post about stuff.but if you do remove all of that stuff go with a 32/36 weber.that’s what I about to switch to.I’ve been having problems with hot starts and the smoothness of acceleration.fine art low throttle and at wot but it because the second barrel doesn’t like to open till wot because the removal of everything but then again I didn’t get to drive it when it was on it either.but motor has 6,xxx miles since rebuild and is been extremely reliable so far I daily drive the car I’ve put about 35 bucks in so far (5 at a time)and have went 637 miles.thanks for the help so far guys.I’ll post more pictures after its bath.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.