Another project reported

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Another project reported

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Go to Google Images, search for “MG TD Vintage Racing” and you’ll see a bunch of examples.

It seems most have a single hoop, with rear or front facing supports.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=h p&biw=1600&bih=1007&q=mg+td+racing&btnG=Sear ch+Images&gbv=2&oq=mg+td+racing&aq=f&aqi=&am p;aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=1537l3584l0l12l11l0l4l1l0l203l 1015l1.5.1#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=mg+td +vintage+racing&oq=mg+td+vintage+racing&aq=f&aqi =&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=9022l13164l0l16l15l0l0l0l2 l163l1581l9.6&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=e07abde44af0 f9a6&biw=1600&bih=1007

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the link Paul. 

Does a roll bar destroy the sleeper image?

Today started to work on steering wheel supports. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then some of the group should be flattered.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Uh yeah, pretty much! 

And as a practical matter, you will not get a roof over a roll bar, at least not a roof that follows the normal TD roof line.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

“Show bar” roll bars can fit under the canvas, but will do you little good, and maybe even some harm, if you ever do flip it. A real bar will be too high for the roof. I had a thought of making a bayonet mount for a roll bar, but I doubt that would really work without a lot more engineering than I’m capable of. Probably would not pass SVRA inspection either, but with the 215 v-8 in a replica that’s probably a moot point.

Off topic: Anyone here on the East coast thinking about heading over to Chambersburg PA next Tuesday to watch The Great Race folks roll through town? I’m there, and Dr. Clock of the Speedsters is arranging breakfast at a local eatery.

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

This might give you a idea how to fasten it down in back .This is the way they did mine.

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Ray,

Were you trying to post a picture? If you were, instructions are here:

https://tdreplica.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1391& KW=pictures

Paul Mossberg

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

I tried it twice but it just said that it was loading . then my computer ran out of battery, going to try it again.

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Anonymous
    Inactive

Spent the last couple of days buried in

Amazon.com: How to Give your MGB V-8 Power (Speedpro) (9781904788935): Roger Williams: Books a great book for the Buick 215 motor, MGB’s and engine swaps.  I was unaware of these MGB with V8s. Kinda like the Sunbeam Tiger w/Ford motors in theory.  Good book for me.

Made up a steering column and steering column drop. Hoping to get the firewall material this week.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Also Also moved the steering linkage support bearing to clear the Buick

Got an order off to Rock Auto for a bunch of missing engine pieces.

The fuel pump and starter  for this engine do not seem to be available locally. Yes its 50 years old.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m loving this build!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Paul Mossberg

Greg SChauber
    Participant

@clkdoc

Hi Almost,
    I am getting a late start on Forum use. Better late than never. I am the guy with the BCW/Chevette. The pedal in mine are quite close. Especially the clutch & brake. I can’t wear large shoes. Mine work great with Running shoes. It feels like I am driving with racing shoes. It all works well with me. Your layout looks to be able to work fine. Wish I had your V8. My Chevette 4W/2 barrel carb works just fine. Using a V8 with the narrow wheel base seems scary to me. Hope you decide to use wide tires. That over slung weat in front could be quite interesting in cornering. Best of luck, keep plugging.
    Greg

Anonymous
    Inactive

Spending way to much time searching the internet for answers when i want to be wrenching the car.

My research turned up D&D Fabrications: Engineering & Fabrication Services who specialize in the Buick 215 and Rover engines.  Talked to Mark today who gave me tons of info on my upcoming engine build. Great to deal with a true professional!

Gotta measure but there is a strong possible switch to a T5  5 speed manual transmission is  in the works.

Will be starting the firewall as the stainless material showed up. The sealing of firewall to fiberglass is todays google search.  How is it done? No answers yet. Answers or photos allways welcome.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

T5 would be sweet….but the clutch pedal fits?

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I moved the firewall back I gained an additional 3 inches in width in the foot well. I have been looking at different pedal set ups and think I can make what I have work with 3 pedals.

The T5 addition would be “sweet”.  It may involve a new rear end. The current drive shaft is only 8″ long,because of the driveshaft extention. (see pics on pg 2) The Chevette came that way.  The auto is very small and compact.  Just have to find a T5  and do some more measuring.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I have a brand new 8″ Ford center section (pumpkin) with 3.55:1 gears and an Auburn posi. It’s all brand new…zero miles.

The axle’s flanges were re-machined for 5 lug Ford (5 x 4.5″) 1/2″ x 20 studs.

The rear is narrow and was to be used in a Buick V6 powered Ford based CMC MG-TD I started to build.

The housing tubes were changed to 3″ straight tube and have Pinto/Mustang II flanges that use the OEM drum brake set up…or you can use the caliper adpaters I also have for a ’78-’83 GM metric (G-Body) calipers and Lincoln Mk VII rotors (no parking brake with this set up).

The housing was also modified for fill and drain plugs. 

The Buick 215 will not add a lot of nose weight to the MG. It is not “overslung”. In fact, it’s only 4 small (1.76L) cylinders long and is no farther forward than the Chevette motor. 

It has enough set-back and is only about 24 pounds heavier than a cast iron 4 cylinder Chevette…324 vs. 300 pounds. Keep in mind that these are 3.5L, small aluminum V8’s and it’s not like putting a cast iron 575 pound SBC or 500 pound Ford 5.0L in the car.

http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html 

Pink MG40709.487650463

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mark thanks for the great imput. I had no idea the two engines were that close in weight. I can make up the 24 lbs difference by getting a thinner girlfriend.Wink  I wonder how the overall lengths compare?

Reminds me of the Studillac. You could lose the Stude 232 CI 650 lb engine and repalce it with a Caddy 500 and save 25 lbs. Yikes!

Spend my shop time cleaning and orgainizing more parts and again assualting the broken head bolt.. The bolt is taking way more time than expected. I am going slow and easy. I have repeatedly tried the welding of a nut to it. That worked on two other broken bolts/studs, but not this one. At least not yet.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Yup…a thinner GF will do the trick

Your 215 is 28″ long according to the website I found…didn’t list the Chevette though. Maybe a Chevette engine guy like Larry Murphy can measure his…why not PM him?

That 472/500 cube Caddy is lighter than a Chevy Big Block too.

That head bolt sounds like a PITA…time for the machine shop?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yahoo! Broken head bolt is a GONE!

Shameless plug for a great friend and a great product. Mark hearing my problem send me his set of BAD DOG drill bits. Bad Dog Tools > Home. Pricey tools on the net but they sell for 50% at home shows and fairs. I have some high speed left hand drills that I like to use for removing threaded fasteners. Unfortunately the head bolt was to hard to drill. This was probably from several failed attempts to weld a nut on the broken stud to remove it.I did remove two smaller broken bolts with this method .His Bad Dog drills have carbide teeth and did the job.

Project moves forward. Tonight I look for a skinny girlfriend, but tomorrow some serious wrenching. Wink

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Your GF does not frequent this site, one supposes.

Congrats on getting the stud out. I had an easier time with one that snapped on the VW case last year. just lucky I guess. Thanks for the Bad Dog tip. will investigate.

Onward!

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Congrats on the successful PITA bolt removal. It’s stuff like this that makes “routine” boring  The payoff when you win is so much more gratifying

I guess the new head bolts might get swapped over to head studs??? ARP makes two head stud kits for a 215. http://www.arp-bolts.com Choose from 6 point or 12 point nuts too! 124-4002 ($153.60) or 124-4202 ($179.60) respectively. Not much more than buying their new head bolts.

If not, the poor man’s method of gobs of antiseize compound might be a good idea.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ed

If you know a “girl friend” that reads this forum, you have a treasure.

I would “pay extra” for that kind of woman.

Used to put “case savers” in early VW engines. It sucked when torquing down the head you pulled the stud. 

Mark

Yes definitely going with the head studs. New territory for me but seems the way to go.

Did you ever read the joke about assembling a kit car in a couple week ends? Ha Ha!Wink

Don’t think you reassemble one with an engine swap quite that fast either.

Looking forward to some engine work today.
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

My Classic Roadsters Ltd. build on a VW donor car took nine months.

I worked mostly solo, in a one car garage, working some evenings and lots of  weekends.

Classic Roadsters assembly manual has time estimates for each major task. Let’s just say I never came close!

Although…a bunch of the Speedster Owners Club guys assembled a Speedster in one weekend, at Carlisle a few years ago.

Paul Mossberg

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

I actually have this VHS tape that FiberFab/CMC used to send to prospective customers with a build manual.

It depicts these two guys (I called Bevis and Butthead) putting a Gazelle together in a weekend with tools from the wife’s kitchen drawer.

It’s like those TV shows on now that show Chip Foose and others building cars in a 1 hour episode. Ruined the hobby for people that don’t understand this TV crap is heavily edited.

“Real” hobbyists don’t work by deadlines, but all these shows…”Real Cars…Real Techs…Real Deadlines” to quote Dan Woods Chop/Cut/Rebuild depict that these show winners are built in a week or two.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

And at some point we realize that the journey is as important as is the destination.

I’m just starting on the journey. I have a TD.com bar badge and an MG parking sign. I’ll get there.   

Anonymous
    Inactive

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 225 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.