Baby's Got New Shoes

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Baby's Got New Shoes

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Just thought I’d share the newest bling for my LR.
    Purchases from MGMagicClassicMotorParts.com

Just something to listen to while you view,
    http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWMDIXOwh00

Amor Conquista Todo

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

nice one’s   dang they  probably cost more than my LR 

jebarry2015-10-11 07:57:15

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Great wheels. They look a lot like Schu’s.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Very nice Steve!

Car looks great!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

WOW! If thats what you got Baby “just because”, what are you going to get her for Christmas? 😐
    Dont tell Eliza Jane, shes still wearing hand-me-down hubcaps and Im afraid shell give me the what have you done for me lately speech if she finds out.
    Great purchase for your car, they sure look great!

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

That’s a sweet look for your car!

Hmm, it would cost me around $1080 for a set, or $1300 including spare. About 1/5 to 1/4 what I paid for my car. Not for me. Maybe something to consider after a few years anyhow to keep its value up.
    I would be happy with John Barry’s wheels if my chromed plastic spokes don’t last long.
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thumbs Up Bob

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

What were your original wheels, Steve? Someone here might take them off your hands.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

FYI…
    The car had original VW pattern, four hole solid steel rims, with simulated spoke wheels.
    I HAVE been thinking about selling them since getting the new wheels, but have been too busy with other stuff.(Need to get off my behind…:lol:)
    I also need to figure out how to mount the new spare on the car. Seems the spare mount has two lugs, as opposed to two holes. There are some other issues with the spare as well.
    You can see what the originals look like.
    Go to:TD REPLICAS,>TOPICS,>”Last Day of Summer”.

Amor Conquista Todo

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Nice look.  What are the dimensions of the rims and tires?

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Here is the link for where I purchased the wheels.
    http://www.mgmagicclassicmotorparts.com/wheels-real-wire-wheel-sets
    I used the recommended 185/75 R14 tyres from my local shop. They mounted and balanced them for me. You have to provide your own lug nuts, as they don’t come with. I found mine at my local DIY auto store.
    The rims have 5 lugs and came with adapters to use for the 4 hole VW wheels. Took about 2 hours to get the first one to fit exactly right, but then the others went on in about the same time for all three remaining.
    If you’re any way mechanical, you can do it.

Amor Conquista Todo

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I JUST remembered something VERY important things about these wheel and tire setups.
    I DID have to do some other minor modifications.
    1) I added a 1″ spacer to the front bumper to move it out in order to keep the tires from rubbing when making a VERY extreme turn, i.e at the farthest wheel turn. I would never imagine making such a turn while moving, but you never know…
    2) My car came equipped with air shocks, which came in VERY handy as, since these tires stick out approx. 1 1/2 or 2″,  they RUBBED the rear fenders when I went over some bumps. Adding a few lbs. to the shocks did the trick. You may find you need some adjustable shocks to keep them from rubbing.
    I’m sure you will find idiosyncrasies with your own cars, but nothing that can’t be figured out.
    I don’t want to discourage ANYONE from purchasing these BEAUTIFUL rims. Just take your time and think outside the box…

Amor Conquista Todo

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Wouldn’t have imagined the front wheels could reach that far forward. Looking back to your pictures I can see how the bumper does appear farther forward, although slightly. And how the tread of the back tires looks directly under the edge of the fender, outer portions of tire going farther outward than that.

Like you say, probably not significant enough changes to be a big problem. I guess that’s why the pictures gave the car a kind of prominent stance, I thought was just the look of the wheels alone.
    ;):-)
    scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Actually the issue wasn’t that the tires were too far forward, but that being WIDER when you turned the wheel it was, in fact the SIDES of the tires that rubbed the bumper.
    Not much but enough to cause concern.
    WEIRD…

Amor Conquista Todo

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Yeah, I can’t see how… I’ll just take your word for it!

Bill Hartwick
    Participant

@greymind

Like the wheels.. I have a red roster just like yours. I also have the wire wheels. I just replace two of the spinners. I love the car. Have a few other things I’m working on. Was thinking of putting in a cherry dash board.

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Bet a cherry dash would look great. Post some pics if you do it, id love to see it.

Bill Hartwick
    Participant

@greymind

I will put the new dashboard in this winter. I’ll post pictures when I do.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.