Battery Cable Length

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Battery Cable Length

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I will be keeping the battery in front of the gas tank as designed and I will purchase the battery cable from Franklin Battery (a local automotive electrical shop). I think a 72 inch cable will be enough but my rough measurements say 116 inches. Does my measurement sound to long?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Depends on how you route it, I’d think. Why not mock it up with a length of clothesline or anchor rope first?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ed. That’s a great idea. You young fellas CAN teach this old dog a new trick or two. Thanks!

Allen Caron

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ed et all with a VW based TDr with the battery in the box in front of the gas tank. I did a string mock up of the battery cable run and the battery cable on mine is 139 inches. That gives me about 1-1/2 inches of free plat near the starter solenoid.

Allen Caron

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I’ve recently seen these new batteries at my favorite VW supply shop. they’re about a third the size of the battery I have in the front of the car. I was thinking of installing the smaller battery in the engine compartment using the gained space up front for tool storage or possibly an extra gas tank. It would also let me get rid of the long heavy battery cable from the front of the car to the starter.  Any thoughts?

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My original plan was to install the battery under the passenger seat. Decided against it because I prefer the storage area. Plus not sure if the heater duct would fit in there with the battery. And I want the passenger heater duct as well. So I’m sticking with the original kit location. I can mount the jack on the firewall in front of the battery. And extra fuel is in behind the grill shell but only on LONG TRIPS. Its removed normally.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess the battery under the passenger seat (i.e.: stock VW location).

There is plenty of room for the heater duct to run between the battery and the bodywork.

Caveat…if a different manufacturer, your situation may be different.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Hey Paul

I didn’t know about the battery being located under the passenger seat, mine came with the battery in the front. I’ll have to check and see if mine will work there also. Sounds like a great idea, it would keep it away from the heat of the engine as well. Id love to add another gas tank if possible or even keep my emergency tools there and free up the room above the wooden deck that runs from the ballast box to the fire wall.

Thanks for your insight!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I like the battery up front for ballast. My car does not have any sand or rocks up front to add weight, but the battery weighs 40 or 50 pounds and sits just behind the front wheels, so I figure that helps keep the nose planted when I get too enthusiastic going up the on ramp. I’d use one of the mini batteries if mine was located aft of the car’s center of gravity.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Wow! After checking the cost for 139 inch battery cable and connectors, I’ll have to see if I have enough room to fit the battery under the passenger seat with the heater duct. BTW… I found some Army flexible orange color heater tubes on the bay. Got four of them ordered.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

What kind of prices did you see Allen?

This is $3 per foot:

http://www.wiringproducts.com/6-awg-gauge-black-battery-cable

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

IMHO #6 AWG is too small.

I would not be comfortable with smaller wire than gauge 1/0.  There are a lot of variables which go into determining the right size, I planned for 150 amp starter draw (cold morning tough start condition) and 10 ft total wire (positive + negative).

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I’m with Roy. A 10′ run of cable require something large.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul. Wither a standard battery connection on one end and a standard starter terminal connection on the other end, I was quoted 142.50 +tax. Its a bit too steep for my meager existence.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Yeah. Sorry Allen.

Based on the advice above, i checked that site again. 1/0 is on sale for $42 per five foot length. You can add the connectors yourself, but price will probably end up near the quote you already have.

If the battery fits under your seat, the standard VW cables will work.

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul. I guess I’ll go with the battery under the seat as I’ve measured and it will fit. BTW…the CMC/Fiberfab Assembly Manual says to fit the 2 inch diameter hear hose through the hole drilled in the body base. Funny; nowhere in the manual does it tell you to drill that particular hole. I’l locate it as best I an near the ouster edge of the seat base. That’s after I finish the door issues.

Allen Caron

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

In following electric car diy websites I have noticed that they are always on the lookout for used heavy gauge welding cables for battery wiring.  Maybe a yard sale or craigslist item.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Allen, if you put it under the seat, it needs to be inward close to the tunnel. The tube for the heater box must go outside, near the door – where there’s enough space on that rear panel for the holes. Yet, the tubes must pass by the arms on the rear torsion bar so they can’t go outboard all the way to the sidewall.  I suggest you deal with your heater ducts before you make a final decision.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I don’t disagree with Kent. (Don’t you love that? It probably means my next sentence is where I’m gonna disagree!  😈 )

But if you put it under the seat, your best approach is to use the standard VW battery mount.

That’s how my Duchess is set up. And as I noted above, there is plenty of room between the battery and the inner side panels for the heat tube.

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Per my assembly manual, I am supposed to drill a 2-1/2 inch hole with the center of the hole 2-1/2 inches from the outer edge of the seat base. But the Fiberfab manual says to locate the seat base and drill a pilot hole through the front end of the seat base and straight back into the body tub. But both assembly manuals say drill a 2-1/2 inch hole and install a 2 inch diameter hose. To my thinking, that leaves 1/4 inch all around the tube. Odd….  😯

Allen Caron

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

The tube is 2″ inside diameter, unless I’m mistaken. A 2.25″ hole would be a fairly snug fit, while a 2.5″ makes for easy installation.

Paul, I was going solely from my experience on my early FF and my 69 pan which had the original battery mounting tabs removed. The rear shelf height could also vary from one kit manufacturer to another, which determines how much vertical “firewall” there is and where you could place a 2.5″ hole.

No worries…

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by KentT.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.