BCW Modifications (future)

Home Forums General Discussion BCW Modifications (future)

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Ed put so much thought into the 3.4 and has very interesting ideas that I should probably go that route.  Although I don’t have the same skills.  But first I need to check out the Buick.  As to the flathead, that was my original thought and what got me to buy the BCW.  My first car was a 52 MG with a flathead with 2 carbs.  Trying to relive youth.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The S10 and the Gbody cars Monte Carlo, Cutlass, etc. spindles interchange and you can find them with a 2″ drop.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Paul – maybe this discussion should be moved to Ford/Chevy forum?

Ed – After checking around for parts for the Buick and considering possible future problems, I am considering your original suggestion.  First I do plan to change the front spindles/rotors/brakes and this may mean that a larger m aster cylinder is needed with the associated problem of the space issue for a 4.3.  And I do have this manifold that came with the Buick engine.

It has 2 two barrel Rochester carbs.  Maybe you would like to convert the FI manifold to twin carbs?  Too bad I don’t live in Maryland anymore.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Bill – Yes I am researching the S10 route for spindles, etc.  Seems the upper ball joint can use the Chevette and the lower is also Chevette with a V8 Vega ball joint adapter.  Probably buy 2 inch drop spindles.  The BCW sits very high in front.  The S10 spindle is about 1 1/8 inch taller but that just moves the top A arm upward.  May have to modify steering somewhat.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Interesting developments.

I do believe that FI manifold could be made to accept any of several carb options. Key is to make sure the 1980s HEI dizzy would drop in behind it;* if not you might have to go to a crankfire/edis spark system. ‘course once you’re there you may as well just leave the FI complete, do some wiring and run that, unless, like me, you think multi-carb setups are too damn cool (and proper) for a TD.

*Looking at the ass-end of this engine, I think some kind of distributer could, though it might take a bit of clearancing on the FI intake runners. Looks like any cutting on the manifold would be where you’re cutting it anyway to get rid of the old throttle body mount…See also: http://www.fierosound.com/34engine/3400details.htm

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Of course one advantage of the Buick is that the distributor is in the front.  Found a damaged 1995 S10 with 4.3 and 5 speed ($500).  Could use suspension components and engine/trans.  But it has 400,000 miles on it.  So engine would need rebuild or find a 60 degree V6 and use the transmission.  Or use the Buick.  To many options/decisions for a 70 year old.  Out to garage to do some measurements for suspension change.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by ricrx7.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

If I already had a Buick/Rover aluminum V8 that was built as a race motor I would not have trouble making the decision. The RV8 can bolt right to the T-5 with the proper bellhousing, which is available.

That said…check the width of those blocks. The RV8 might be about the same as, or even a little wider than, the 350 chebbie (and so too the 4.3 v6)—i.e. about 20 inches from head to head, minus the exhaust. The 60-degree V6 is about 16 inches wide, or a little less, from head to head.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

I believe you are right.  The Buick is about the same width.  My problem- issue- tough decision is I have to spend some pretty good money to get the parts for the Buick.   And it seems that stock exhausts for the Buick will not work.  So custom headers.  Although I can probably modify the headers I have.  Of course buying a running 4.3 V6 will cost about the same as the Buick parts.  The cheaper way to go is to buy a wrecked S10 5 speed V6.  Than again the V8 would look cool and I think I remember seeing or hearing somewhere that a 2 two barrel intake is available for the Buick.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.