Brake Bleeder Fitting

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Brake Bleeder Fitting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I was going to bleed my breaks and the bleeder fittings are seriously tight. I’ve sprayed PB Blaster on them to loosen them up but was wondering if I can remove the bleeder, put a light coat of anti-seize compound on the threads. Then install the bleeder and bleed the brakes.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Probably wouldn’t hurt but also shouldn’t need. Once you get them loose they should be fine as long as you crack them open again every other year or so—which you ought to do anyway when you change the brake fluid. If you strip them get new. They’re cheap and save a fair bit of agita messing around later with a vice grips. Ask me how I know.

Toller
    Participant

@toller

You may also want to check the operation of the brake cylinder. If the bleeder valves are seized it may imply that the brakes have not been serviced in some time. Although I have only had Sabine for two years she gets a full maintenance check when she comes out of hibernation in the spring. Don’t remember if check list I use was posted on this site or if it was on one of the classic car sites but I print a copy and check each item off when I prep the car in the spring. Easier than trying to remember everything

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks for the good info. Toller, I like the idea of that checklist. Perhaps you can dig it out and post it here on the forum. It definitely sounds like something we can all use.

As for bleeding the brakes, this is the second time in a year I’ve had to do this. Air appears to be seeping into the closed system. With all the bleeders and metal fittings tight, the only place I can think of air getting into the system is on the top of the MC that has the two rubber plugs around the reservoir inlet lines. Before I bleed the system again, I’m going to take another look at those. Perhaps new MC seals or new MC are in order.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by newkitman.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.