British Coach Works

Home Forums Classifieds Running MGTD Kits Cars for Sale British Coach Works

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Took a look at one this afternoon.  87 Chevette based.  They are looking to get $6K.  

In going over everything I noticed the tires are 165 x 14.  The rims I at first thought were original MG (round holes) but then the tires should be 15 inch – correct?
    I know we’re not talking about a whole lot more lift, but another inch (15 vs. 14 inch wheels) I think would make a difference.
    Anyone have any experience with the front engined British Coach Works (BCW) cars?
    MG magic’s site also shows VW vs. front engined TDr’s with the 14 inch wheel.  
    I think it’s going to need new tires anyway, so:
      1.  Would I be able to swap the BCW rims to VW’s?
       2. Would original TD rims fit this model?

And of course any other advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

You are right that the “correct” wheel size is 15. The front engine BCW cars used adapters to fit VW wheels over Chevette hubs. The owner might still have them. Alternatively you could have them made. If it were mine I’d see about getting the hubs fitted with new studs at 4.5 inches. Then find a set of MGA steel wheels or go to MWS wires.

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Here’s a photo of what I’m working with.  The tires are clearly 14 inch.  Can anyone figure out if these were “custom” wheels just for this car, or some other sort of MG permutation?

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

BTW I’m counting 16 holes in these wheels and only 15 on photos of original TD’s I’m seeing online.

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Those look pretty good. Chevettes are 4 x 100mm. Here is a list of other cars with that bolt pattern. A lot of steelies have 10-16 round holes. Ther are a lot of 4×100 wheels, both stock and aftermarket, to choose from. I’d look at mid ’90s Sentras, and mid 2000s Scions….

The best match for an MG wheel I have found is the 4 x 4.5 inch Nissan Altima wheels: 15 x 6, 15 holes. A real nice wheel to make a fake MGA TwinCam knockoff out of, and would do as well under a TDr as long as you had the fender space to tuck them under. 
    Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Ed,  Is this the one you saw?  https://www.roadreadywheels.com/product/nissan-altima-steel-wheel-2/

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That’s it. I got one at a junk yard a few years ago for $5 or $7. Bit of a hunt, but they’re there.

The offset is good as well.

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Ed (and onyone else who may stumble upon this),

The 14 inch tires I currently have on mine are p185 75 r14.

If I keep the 14 inch wheels I have the tallest tire I can find is a Continental Vanco 8 at 185 80 r14 (which I think is what Mercedez Benz uses on their sprinter vans).

When I look for something taller that the 80% width-to-height ratio I keep getting thrown into French or other European tyre sites, but the sizing is confusing.

Going 75r to 80r on a 14 inch wheel gives me about another .76 inches of ground clearance.  A 15 inch tire should give me at least an inch but NOT if the width-to-height ratio doesn’t go as high at 75% to 80%.

Any thoughts Folks?

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

A 195/65-15 is about the same diameter as a 185/75-14: 25 inches.

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/HeightofTires.htm

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.