Building Alfred

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Building Alfred

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Veddy nice.

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

The drive train has been installed and the body dropped on to check clearances. The 2.8 V6 looks like a natural. There may be enough room for a small alternator on lower right and also looks like there will be enough room for steering shaft on the left. Next will be to finish fabricating the front and rear bumper mount areas. This is another reason the body had to be put onboard.

Fit at rear of engine is a pleasant surprise…

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

That is going to be one sweet ride.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

One of my problems was to get the alternator inside of the bonnet side panels, since the stock mounts stuck the alternator outside about 8 inches. Also there was no room on either side to put in a full size alternator. I found this 40 amp hot rod alternator online. Perfect.
    Also bought a flip top fuel cap along with the hose and a neck tube that will be welded onto a custom made tank.

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Holy Mackerel! Where did you find that gas cap and the connections? I’ve been looking for one, but have limited space to install. The base has to be 2 3/4″ x 3″.

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

AAAHH!
    That’s the same gas cap that started my tear down.
    It’s a nice addition. You might consider a section of fuel fill hose that is not wire reinforced. It’d be easier to seal.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Ordered the gas cap and hose.  The measurements are right and it should fit.

Many thanks.
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Looks similar to the one CB Performance has.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Made outriggers today to hold up the running boards. I previously fiberglassed a teak 1X2 on the bottom of the running boards to give them strength. 

I want it strong enough to stand on and also to use as jack points in case of a flat. The welding is just tacked on for now. Only have three three more items to fabricate for the frame: Body mounts, roll bar mount and some kind of way to support the grille. I also want to put a brace on the inside of the front fenders to firmly hold them up and also to give the headlight mounting bar a really firm foundation. Once these items are don, then I can totally dismantle down to bare frame and do the final welding on all the tacks. Put it together, take it apart. Probably several more times to go.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

glassed-in teakwood? You’re not taking any chances, eh? But–since it’s invisible and yet expensive– why not 1×2 aluminum square tubing?

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

1. The teak was left over from an old headboard I cut down. Price=free
    2. It won’t ever rot
    3. 1X2 Aluminum is pretty thin and will eventually strip the threads

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Tack welding of frame done enough to lift the body back off. Came off in one piece….

Today I made a bracket for my handy little alternator.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Wow. You are so far ahead of me, skills-wise, that I am becoming embarrassed to post.

That bracket looks like work.

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

The welds are still pretty ugly, but it will definitely hold the alternator in place with no flexing or vibration. Tomorrow I’ll figure out how to make a belt tensioner form a turnbuckle. This site has a simple one that I’ll copy.

http://www.thewedgeshopstore.com/products/Turnbuckle-Alternator-Adjuster-TR8.html

PMOSSBERG2013-03-08 23:44:08

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Frame is 99% complete, painted and ready to start mounting the suspension. Final weight, including Mustang crossmember is 200 pounds. Much less than the Chevette frame which was way over 300 without the Chevette crossmember.

The frame has mounting plates welded to it that allows a rollbar to be bolted in place (or removed at any time)

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

That’s whole project is just friggin’ amazing. I got to go out and buy myself a welder and start learning how to do that.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Very impressive, Gabor! You are a craftsman.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Wow, very impressive! Love the rollbar provisions! I’d like to have one…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Your craftsmanship is amazing!
    Nice work!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Green with envy on the quality of your work. This is going to be one sweet ride.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

I have welded small stuff before, but this is first time for a whole car frame. As far as all the other stuff that gets bolted to the frame, I’ve found the conversations that go on in this forum to be truly useful. I don’t think Alfred will be roadable by Carlisle, but I will be there anyway.

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Really looking nice. 

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

A while ago I pulled the oil pan to swap it with one that had a rear sump. When I did so, a woodruff key fell out. I guessed that it was from the harmonic balancer, so I pulled the balancer which came apart.  The previous owner must have seperated the balancer from the hub, probably in the act of prying it off. Since there was no key the whole assembly had spun on the crank nose and galled both the crank and the inside of the balancer hub. I had to disassemble the front of the engine to get at the crank nose so ZI could file it smooth again. It finally slipped on fine again. Whole assembly is back together and lined up fine on the timing mark. Does not look like much progress happened, but it was nasty work. Finally got whole front of engine together and also mounted the turnbuckle spreader for the mini-alternator. Also used POR-15 exhaust paint on the manifolds and stripped and painted the valve covers. That POR-15 is expensive but looks good. I like a clean engine.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 229 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.