c4 trans removal

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits c4 trans removal

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

I have a mustang II automatic conversion.  Has anyone dropped the c4 transmission out the bottom to do a rebuild on the trans.  Can you get to all the bolts to disconnect the engine to separate the two?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The hardest bolts to get to would be the two at the top of the bellhousing below the cylinder head. Everything else should be readily accessible.
    While it’s out, have you considered a 4 speed auto from a newer Mustang?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Bill,
    For the type of driving I do the 3 speed C4 works just fine and I hear they are easy to rebuild.  This weekend I’m going to do the band adjustment but I’m not sure that is going to help.

My other concern with the newer transmissions is that they may be larger in size and may not fit the transmission tunnel without some mods.  But thanks, I may have a winter project.  The rebuild of my trans.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hey Rob just curious, what’s wrong with your trans?

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Ed,
    After it gets warm it seems to drop out of gear.
    When it’s warm and I put it in drive from a stop it doesn’t pick up the gear, I have to bring it down to 1, get going and then shift it to drive.
    I’m going to adjust the bands this weekend and retest.
    It’40 years old so it may be due for a rebuild.
    Rob

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hmmm. Got fluid? Back in me gas station days, about once every month or two we’d get a panicked person with missing gears in their automatic. Usually it was down two quarts.

They probably needed a rebuild as well–or at least new gaskets–but we didn’t do trans work and, once their cars went into gear they were usually gone, at least for the next month or two.
    The other thing we’d get is linkage adjustments. I’m betting that’s you. 
    Meanwhile, my mom had a Torino wagon, 302, auto, that slowly failed. First we would just miss 2nd gear, which was OK since the V-8 didn’t really need it. She’d sure get a loud downshift though going up hills, dropping from 3rd to 1st and then winding 1st waaaaay up to something like 45 mph. 
    Then we started losing cylinders, and things got pretty funny. Well, funny in retrospect. At the time it was a goddamn nightmare. I was a teenager, just learning to drive, and we lived in Fairfield, CT, so having that particular car did not do much for my social status.
    When we finally let go I think she had three cylinders working.

Never, ever had another car with a transmission that lost any gears. 
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The top bolts on most automatic transmissions are hard to get to. Years ago working in a trans shop learned a trick to use a really long extension and a swivil socket from the rear of the tranny. Made for an easy removal. Starting bolts involved sometimes using tape to hold bolt and make swival socket less wiggly.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice tip!

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Took a good look at the trans removal project and I’ve decided to take the engine and trans in one piece.  More work to disconnect everything but may be physically easier then working under the car.  Yes it may take longer but less likely to get hurt in the process.

I have checked the fluid level and it appears ok but I haven’t checked it when it starts to misbehave which is after 10 miles of warmup.  It shifts great when cold. 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.