Calendar Time

Home Forums General Discussion Calendar Time

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

TD Replica Peeps: Last year, spur of the moment, I grabbed some pictures off the forum and cobbled together a TD Replica wall calendar using an online order-in publisher. Bit spendy at about $25 but a pretty nice product, all considered.

So–shall we do it again? If you think so, chime in, and please send me any pics you want considered for the calendar. Bigger is better. The calendar makers actually rejected some of the smaller (under 400mb) jpegs I sent in my original package–too small to print nice. PM me and I’ll email you so you can email back the attachments.

I know everyone like their car in a 3/4 or profile shot next to a lake or a weathered barn, and I do too. But I want to encourage other angles, detail shots, action shots, and pics with people in them (and pets), to add visual interest.

Who’s with me?

edsnova40834.4935300926

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I’m in. TD not built yet or even with body on the chassis…but I’m in.  

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

I’m in.

Dennis Brock
    Participant

@dbrock

Me too

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

sounds good to me.

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Sounds great Ed.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I’d buy one.  My London Roadster wouldn’t look too good with a duller finish and some rust on the wire wheel covers.

The hot rod is a bit shiney with a new coat of wax, but maybe I’ll take her out this weekend for a spin, and be extra careful with the brakes.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Take pictures, people! Get at least 1 megabyte, better with 2 or 2.5. email them to me. If you don’t have my email, pm me and I’ll send it.

A word on “rust”:

I know that some of you–probably most of you–extol that concourse-fresh, toothbrush-in-every-cranny, untouched-by-human-ass look we all admire at Barrett Jackson’s auctions & Pebble Beach each year. Hell, I admire that look too, mainly because of the sheer work that goes into it.

BUT: Screw that!

We drive our cars. We live our lives. I think our pictures should reflect those facts proudly. Bridget has a dent in her radiator shroud, pimples on her hood latches, and a general thinning of chrome plating pretty much everywhere there’s supposed to be chrome. I like her that way, and not just ’cause I don’t have thousands of bux to rechrome her, nor a season to sit out waiting for the parts to return. Bridget looks like what she is: a well-preserved old car.

Some of you have much cleaner cars than mine, fewer paint chips, shinier metal. Great. I want those pictures! Take them from different angles, and/or in motion, or–well, use your imagination. You may have noticed: it’s really hard to take an ugly picture of a TD.

So some of you have projects. I think that’s great too. A big part of the hobby is fixing. Good pictures have drama and action, and that’s what I’d like to see. Details, before-and-afters, welding sparks, and smiling, greasy people can be just as “pretty” as that polish-perfect 2/3 frontal shot next to a stone bridge.

Let’s see of we can get a calendar that celebrates more than one aspect of the TD Replica world.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

And the shots are coming in. Great ones, so far. Thanks Paul and Tom.

OK, another FYI, based on some feedback I just got: don’t not send your excellent photos depicting your well-shined car on a sunny day in front of a pretty background. I don’t mean to dis those. I just mean to also encourage other, less standard calendar type pics if you got them or want to take them.

They still might not make the cut, but I want us all to see ’em and then decide.

When I get a good batch I’ll post them up here for your inspection.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Bump.

So far I got three beautiful cars, plus my own(?), plus one shot I lifted from Current Toy (below), which I think might be worthy (though it might be on the small side).

Any others? These don’t have to be brand new, this season photos. They only need to be fairly large format.

Keep ’em comin’, boys.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Don’t forget the background. A picturesque setting really makes a car stand out.

I would expect to see one on a ferry

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Bump. Here’s my own entry, so far.

I might tape the headlights and try again though.

edsnova40863.9085532407

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Cool photo. If you could somehow make it a black and white, it’d look like a newspaper photo from back in the 50s.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That’s a great shot Ed!

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Shot at a rest stop on the way back from an SCCA weekend at Lime Rock, CT in the 50s. 

Very artistic.

Don’t forget to tape the Lucas Flamethrower.

Love the meatball.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

You have a picture from the 50s?

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Great shot!!!  Great car too!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, guys.

Here’s dBrock’s absolutely unique car, sporting its uber-cool folding hood:

edsnova40864.8253240741

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That is awesome!!!!

The pins on the windshield frame look like the roof attaches in an authentic manner also.

Nice car.

Paul Mossberg

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Gorgeous dash layout! I may need to install a drool shield on my keyboard before looking at any more photos, though.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Dennis Brock
    Participant

@dbrock

Thanks for the kind words.  The dash is Kentucky coffee tree (looks a lot like red oak) and walnut.  The side mirror is a Honda motorcycle mirror.  I made a simple mount that fastens to the folding windshield bracket.  love the car.  This winter we are going to replace the 2.0 engine with an 8 plug 2.3 Ford engine.  The primary reason is to pick up fuel injection and solid state ignition, but at some point turn it into a turbo engine.  The engine is out of a 92 Mustang.  I will send pics as it progresses.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Keep those photos coming, folks. I think I might have half a calendar’s worth so far. Maybe.

How’s 12/10 sound for a deadline?

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

You need more pics I might have one of mrs w in the snow and one on mt washington

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Def need 5-6 more pics. Need a December shot, Feb, March and May–maybe May. Does anyone have anything from Carlisle? We had a lot of TDs there, but I did not bring the right camera & so don’t have anything with enough pixels.

I’m probably going to do this on Bighugelabs again, like last year.

Thinking of this for the cover shot

(but only ’cause I have it handy. Welcome any better entries. Also don’t worry, since it’s folded over immediately and not seen again after the thing is hung on a wall).

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I like that for the cover.  

Allen Caron

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.