Changing out starter motor

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Changing out starter motor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Greetings all, I haven’t been on the site for a while, I have been busy with car shows here in Florida and Georgia. Quick question, I need to change out the starter on Herbies 1968 VW engine. It is probably the original starter for all know, as I built my Duchess kit back in 1985. My challenge is, how do I remove the “starter shaft bushing”, that seems to be very well imbeded in the transmission bell housing? My concern is if I try to tap it out, it will fall into the area where the fly wheel and clutch plate are, which would not be a good thing. Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments.

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Dave. Good hearing from you again. Some of our seasoned club veterans may have done that very thing and can expound on it. I have heard of some guys in the VW forums threading a bolt into the starter bushing and pulling the bushing out that way. I’ve never tried it though. I’ll check my John Muir book and see if he mentions any tricks. There’s also Rob and Dave’s Air Cooled VW pages that may have something on it. Good question as I’m sure a lot of us will run across that some day.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Update on my question of how to remove the starter bushing from the transmission bell housing. Rob and Dave’s web site really gave no direct answer, other then remove the bushing before you install a new starter. There were several suggestions on the Samba web site, suggesting to use a 7 mm easy out, and clamping onto the easy out with vice grips and hammering on the vice grips to remove the bushing. Several Samba members said they tried that, with marginal success. The next Samba suggestion was to back off the engine from the transmission, and tapping out the bushing, and place a shop rag in the bell housing to avoid the bushing falling into the clutch area. Another was to drop the engine and tap out the bushing. Finally after reviewing similar Samba forms, the very BEST suggestion that many Samber members did with great success, was to NOT remove the original starter bushing, but to use a “Auto Stick” starter. The starter for the auto stick transmission, has a self supporting in starter bushing. Therefore avoiding the need to use the old manual starter bushing. Soooooooo I purchased a  auto stick starter for $42 with a life time warranty from Oriley’s Auto Parts. I hope my Sarter Motor replacement and research will be helpful to our site members in the future. Thanks to TDr member Allen for his comments. I will report back after I install the Auto Stick Starter.

Dave

Dave

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Greetings All

I’ts been a while since I’ve chimed in but I can offer another suggestion…I did the same project a few years back in The Penny Marie and I had success when I borrowed a slide hammer from Autozone. I just slit the expanding tip into the bushing and tightened it up. I then used the slide hammer to knock it out. It worked like a charm and I greased up the new bushing and slid it in and haven’t had a problem since…I hope this helps…I don’t have a fraction of the experience that the rest of the gang has but this tool worked for me…

Good luck…

Rick…aka…The Village Idiot

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Last update to changing out my starter Motor. As you may recall, I posted a concern of how to remove the starter bushing when installing a near starter. Well I am happy to report the advice from the Samba Forum on using a “Auto Stick Starter” was advice well given. I installed this new starter and I did not remove the old starter bushing, because the auto stick starter has a second self supporting bushing in the starter. The change out was easy to do, and I also hooked up my “hard to start when hot Ford solenoid switch”. The new auto stick starter works GREAT! So when you have to replace your VW engines starter, this is the way to go and not mess with replacing the old starter bushing in the transmission bell housing. The only caution here is…….. if the former owner or engine rebuilder changed out the fly wheel with a different then standard gear tooth pattern, a new standard VW starter will not work because the gear tooth pattern will be different. The difference is the number of gear teeth on the replaced fly wheel. Thanks again to Allen on suggesting I look at the Samba Forms. Rob’s and Dave web site was no help.

Best Regards to all, I love the information exchange and knowledgeable resources on our TDr web site. Special thanks again to Paul and Steve on making the new site easy to use.

Dave

Dave

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Glad it all worked out for you Dave.  🙂

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Good Job Dave…Now get out there and drive!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.