Chevy 2.2L dutchess

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Chevy 2.2L dutchess

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    K
    Participant

@octagon

Love and admire the work you have done on the TD but have to agree
    with MR. Pink MG . If you took that Photo of the yoke to any Professional
    Mechanic that had been around for a while would tell you that your asking for trouble . The front U/joint being so far away from the Transmission tail shaft and housing bushing could cause a hell of a load on the extension housing . I’ve seen the results and it ain’t pretty .
     Just an old mechanic throwing my two cents in
                                                       AL .

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

OMG!!! It’s gone!
    now I gotta sweep the floor!
    Oh wait..It’s at the muffler shop.

I’ll check on that slip yoke. Better safe than sorry.

Court Wizard40298.7832175926

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Al

Checked with local builder I trust…
    We gonna remake the driveshaft.
    and we gonna re-align the trans!

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

K
    Participant

@octagon

Good job Court Wizard.
    On your Dutches it appears that the torque tube on the r/end is the
    original that came with the chevette .  Strange , cause my Dutches has
    a fabricated piece made by Classic Roadsters in its place . I guess they
    had a change in their set up some time in their production run .
    I think mine was manufactured in 1988 .
                                          AL .

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Shee’sss Backkkk!!

New exhaust pipe

And the driveshaft is on it’s way to the re-builders for the third time

The axles and hubs for the teardrop trailer arrived today. that will be next.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice! How’s she sounding? If I were in your shoes, I don’t think I’d be able to resist taking a little spin before sending the driveshaft back.

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

I haven’t gotten the ECU (computer) yet.
    So I cannot start the engine until….. it gets here,…. I hook it up,…. I program it, ….Then VROOOOMM!!!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Wow! A computer ‘n everything! That’s one unusual ’52 TD you got there.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Glad you decided to lengthen the driveshaft. If it didn’t let go right away, it would have vibrated like crazy and eventually cracked the transmission tail stock after wearing out the seal.

The rest of the work you are doing is amazing! You’ll be rewarded with a great ride.

NOW GO SWEEP THE FLOOR

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

The Dutchess (still no name) has a new driveshaft.

I just realized I’m repeating myself

Delete repeats.

I tested the radio today and it worked beautifully. Better than the shop radio.

On Tue the 18th I fly to Jackson MS for an air show and won’t be working on the Dutchess until my return on the 26th. Fun and profit with explosives!

When I get back I’ll keep you posted on the set up with the computer.

Court Wizard40314.9971180556

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Er, so, what exactly IS your job?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Detail tip…which you may know already.

The z-bars that hold the rear trunk cover are the same diameter as bicycle handlebars. To plug the ends, go to a bike shop and buy four of the chrome caps used to plug he bar ends and hold handle-bar tape in place.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Ed,

I’m a special effects/Pyrotechnician. I blow things up for movies and air shows. I also make apparatus for magicians and displays for an aero-space museum.
    The photo is from “Wings over Gillespi” near San Diego, CA.

And Paul..No I didn’t know that. I hadden’t gotten that far yet. I like that idea. That takes care of that unfinished edge.

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

While at the Gillespie Air Show I saw what may be the ultimate TD Replica.

Now you might say “What makes this so special?” look again…

It looks like a ’52 MG TD. But lets see…The windshield wiper motor is missing.
    And the front axle is a little too far forward..Hum??

Okay, it’s a real MD body. But the running gear is MG A. The motor is a Toyota 2.4 L.

Why?

I’ve tested my electrical and every thing works except for the brake lights . I’ll track that down.
    Still haven’t bought the computer, I expected to have it by now but too much work and not enough $$.
    The ’75 Comet I’ve been using for my daily driver just decided to have it’s Bendix fail. So I’m borrowing my son’s car.
    Such fun.
    I WANT MY MG!!!!!

Court Wizard40351.6143518519

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice TD. er MGA. er . . .

Did you talk to the owner? Did he tell you why he went with MG A running gear but a Toyota mill?

And sorry to hear about the Comet. Those are usually pretty reliable, and yours is practically new!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I want to go to work with the Court wizard!!!

That TD rep is beautiful!

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

If you want to work for the Court wizard then you really need to check out this training video. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTbn0qnHbxQ

Court Wizard40357.5868287037

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Awesome.

So did you get the damn squirrel? You took enough shots at it!

Paul Mossberg

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Well I went and did it!
    I just ordered the MegaSquirt II computer.
    I’ve been studying the tuning software and I think I’m beginning to understand it.
    The “Turner Studio” software has an “auto tune” system which, once I get in the ballpark, will fine tune the car as I drive. I’ll just have to keep my laptop plugged in while using the ‘auto tune’.
    The box should get her in a couple O’ days I’ll keep you posted.

PS Paul, Roasted Squirrel! Yum!

Court Wizard40401.8555671296

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Hey everyone,

Merrry Christmas

Had to take time out to work on season 2 of TOP SHOT for History Channel and cast up some parts for a WW II German bomber (FW-189).
    But now I’m back to the Dutchess.
    I’ve been hooking up the computer and am two wires away from finishing that.
    I put coolant in the radiator and got…”Niagara Falls!…” Some where during the rebuild the radiator had been cracked. Sitting on shop floor, Big feet, not watching where going…could have happened.
    So I took the opportunity to build a all new radiator like I want. Three row, filler on top where I can get at it. outlets where they line up with the the pipes on the engine. Fan hooked up to the computer for temperature operation.
    Added gas to tank 1 gal at a time to check gauge…needle no move

Currently here in Los Angeles it’s pouring cats and dogs and has been for the last six days. This has to stop! I’ve got no top yet.
    If the engine fires……
    Well as was said on another thread, “drive fast and keep your head down.”
    I sat in her the other night and made vroom noises with my mouth…is that a bad thing?
    This is officially the first day of winter. But spring comes early to LA.

I just looked at my posts…Did I really say (back in April) I’d have it on the road in a month?? Silly Goose.-

John

Court Wizard40535.1121990741

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Carry on, brother! It’ll stop raining. I think you and I represent the book-ends of this group, when it comes to fabrication and repair skill. Along with Old Buzz, you’re way over on the skill side (you really make your own radiators? really?) and I’m way over on the, um, other side (as my frame head epoxy adventure demonstrates).

Here’s to gettin’ ‘er done before Carlisle. It’s really not that far a trip. You can convoy over with some of the Speedster boys.

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Ed, Radiators aren’t that difficult, the cores are available cut to size, solder on the cans & fittings then pressure test and then solder up all the leaks.
    The hard part is most of the radiators today have plastic cans. (No can solder)

Carlisle??? Not that far? I’m in rainy California. I’d love to go but I cannot stay away from work that long. Take lots of pix and post. I’d love to see the ‘T’s turn out!

Soon as I get the teardrop finished I’m going to take it north to Oregon to visit my mom. If the economy turns around enough I’d like to take a tour around the states but that’s in the future.

Got the gas gauge working it was just stuck from sitting.

Court Wizard40549.014224537

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Will do on the Carlisle pics. That’s something I can handle. As for shows, I do believe there are one or two west coast meets you might attend. I’d love to drive Bridget out that way, but like you, gotta work. Maybe if/when I get fired.

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

I now have the Megasquirt computer installed and am starting to get it programed.
    Currently it’s WAY too rich except for #4 that’s getting no gas. So tomorrow I’m going to pull #4 injector and see if it can be fixed or needs to be replaced. And fix a couple of other glitches that have popped up.

But I’m encouraged…she makes noises all by herself.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That is badass. Wondering if, once your #4 injector is unclogged, your rich-running condition on the other three holes will be cured. Fingers crossed.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.