Considering new radiator for heat issues

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Considering new radiator for heat issues

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ketcham
    Participant

@touche

Took the Chevette based BCW MG out for a 5o mile round trip and by the time I got home (it was 85 degrees outside) the water temperature was a touch over 230. Id never seen it over 220 before. Inspected system afterwards.  Antifreeze level was good but there is a little what looks like corrosion in the corners of the core near the top. No puddles on the floor. The radiator is about 18 inches wide; any wider would interfere with the steering column. EBay has an all aluminum 3 layer “racing” radiator made for 1964-1966 mustang which is 18 inches wide, and includes an electric fan for 139 bucks.  Supposedly the 3 layers allow more  exposure for the coolant in the air flow, offering 35 to 40 percent better efficiency. Concerns:

1. Framing an aluminum radiator in a steel frame

2. Diameter of Radiator hoses top and bottom, as well as position of lower radiator connection

3.Adding an electrical load to keyed circuit

Here’s a link to ebay item.  Any thoughts about putting Ford parts in a Chevy based Frankenstein’s car?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Core-Performance-RADIATOR-16-Fan-for-64-66-Ford-Mustang-Base-V8-I6-MT/232863227477

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The original Mustang radiator was a 2 core, which is what I am currently running. I’ve saved that link for the 3 core for future reference. Last Saturday morning when it was cool I drove mine to work apx 17 miles. By the time I got there the temp gauge was just climbing over 200*. Before I came home in the heat of the day I dumped (2) bottles of Royal Purple, Purple Ice into the radiator. The temp needle never went above 195*. I was impressed, but I have not driven the car since to say it’s the magic elixir. For what it’s worth, it’s cheaper than a radiator.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

2 core vs 3 core:  I was having temp problems with my 998cc classic mini.  Did a lot of reading and decided to try a 2 core vs the 3 core original.  The logic being that while the 3 core may have more coolant exposure the increased density of the cores decreases the air flow and thus: the 2 core cools better.

I should mention that I had acid cleaned my original radiator and it was sparkly clean.  Good thermostat.  Ran it.  Changed radiator and I tried as best as possible to duplicate conditions and sure enough, without changing anything else, my running temperatures went down after I put in a 2 core.

Now the thermostat has complete control over running temperatures.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Royal.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Took the car out Sunday afternoon during the recent heat wave. With air temps in the mid 90’s I put about 25 miles on it. The temp gauge just creeped up on 210* when I got it home. Considering how hot out it was, I was pleased. I was also cooked.

Tonight I made a paper template of the hood which will go to the fabricator for louvre production.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Bob Sturtevant
    Participant

@oldmg

Radiators. I have a partial Chevette kit with no radiator and would like to know what radiator is used? Looked up the Chevette and found it to be to big and with the cap on the side? would like one with cap in the middle if possible. Any Ideas?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The Chevette manual reproduced here is showing the original Chevette radiator being used. A cross flow unit with side tanks.

Michael, can you jump in here and help Bob out? I’m of no help on the Chevette model.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

For my Subaru swap I used an aftermarket radiator designed to fit a 1992-2000 Honda Civic, similar to this. It fits nice behind the grill and was easy to make mounts for. The larger of the two original Subaru Legacy fans also fit nicely over it.

The rad was made for a 1.6l engine but the Subaru engine is 2.2 and it cools very well. If I had a Chevette-based car I’d probably use it—though I’d also probably be trying to see how an EcoTec or similar engine might fit….

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

I have a BCW which had a Chevette engine and radiator.  The radiator is available for shipping.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

My new radiator is a Champion CC1500 for a Datsun Fairlady.  It measures

Total: 17.13″ tall x 17.38″ wide (with brackets)
    Core: 11.75″ tall x 14.25″ wide x 2.25″ thick
    Inlet: 1.38″ passenger side

Outlet: 1.38″ driver side

Available through Ledfoot Racing for $205.  It cools my 2.8 GM V6 fine.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Michael Ketcham
    Participant

@touche

rad10rad10

Took the big step and replaced original Chevette radiator with a high performance 2 row aluminum. New radiator was listed on EBay as for a 1992 – 2000 Honda Civic EG/DEl Sol/Integra with automatic transmission, including fan for less than 75.00.  Also bought  a 48 inch stainless steel hose kit and water temperature switch and harness. Didn’t have a convenient place to mount the sensor switch but I found a NOS Everco W2495 Chevette thermostat cover with 1/2 inch threaded opening on top for air conditioning switch.  Radiator is mounted up higher and closer to the front of the car.Took about three days to assemble and it looks great. Performance results are promising

Michael Ketcham
    Participant

@touche

New radiator is in! Performance promising so far.

rad10

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Good on ya! Hope for some good cruising this summer.

R.Putnam
    Participant

@rickputnam

So, lets not forget there are other systems that will affect operating temperatures. Timing, as the distributor vacuum and mechanical advance, and air fuel ratio, if it’s lean, and exhaust restrictions. Anyway the radiator is great. An oil cooler will also help. The guys in the club always have good advice. Good luck.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.