Converting a VW based replica to front engine

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Converting a VW based replica to front engine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom Bartlett
    Participant

@tom-bartlett

I have found this forum to be invaluable in my newest project.  Although I had a VW-based Migi some 25 years ago, I sold it and started building Lotus 7 replicas.  When I had the chance to pick up another unbuilt TD replica kit, I jumped at the chance to try again, but this time I wanted to convert it to the front-engine format.  I had always admired the looks of the early British Trials cars, so I thought I might build my own.  So this is my story:  While surfing the ‘net I ran across the design of the John Cowperthwaith’s “Midge”, which reminds one of the older MG J2, with cycle fenders and Brooklands windscreen.  Basically, John produced a design that utilized a Triumph Spitfire frame (one of the last British sportscars to use the body-on-frame method) and marine plywood sheets to build the body.  He finished the original one and then offered plans for a reasonable price.  Some 3,000 sets were sold, with over 300 completed cars reported finished.  This is a picture of a Midge:

Midge

So, I purchased the rusty remains of a 1964 Spitfire with a solid-looking frame and hauled it to my hobby shop. It took a couple of days to locate all the rusty bolts and removed the body, leaving me with a frame that I could push around.  Much, much faster than building a spaceframe for a Lotus 7 replica!

Then, to see where to modify the VW-based TD body, I sat it upon the Spitfire frame and began to make cuts:

Since the Spitfire wheelbase is 83″ and the TD needs to be about 94″, I plan to cut the frame and extend it 11″.

More later.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I don’t know about anyone else, but your pic didn’t come through.

Anyway, good luck with your project. Keep us pic’d and posted.

Amor Conquista Todo

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Wow! This is a pretty ambitious project. I look forward to following your build!

Not sure why your pictures didn’t link. I was able to copy the links and open them directly, so it’s not a security thing with the forum. And usually, linking to pictures is the easiest way to get them into a post.

Hope you don’t mind Tom, but here is a link to the Flickr album on your TDr Spitfire build:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bartlett_tc/albums/72157668548455662/with/31085460466/

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I’m looking forward to reading about your progress! It’s great to be in a club with such creative and brilliant minds, now if we could just get you all to Washington DC. Quite ambitious for a project and I can’t wait to see the finished work.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I hope it all comes together for you. My second car was a Spitfire with 4sp overdrive. Fast as stink. My roommate got a ticket in Texas for doing 110mph. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to try that kind of trick in a TDr!

Amor Conquista Todo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.