cowl brackets for TDr?

Home Forums General Discussion cowl brackets for TDr?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Has ANYONE successfully modified original MG TD cowl brackets to work on a TDr?

Based on the shape of the casting where it meets the cowl, it appears that some serious modification to the TDr’s fiberglass cowl would be required….

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Kent,

Doug (dougsgarage) and Steve Struchen (mustang_evets) modified their cowls to accept TD brackets. They posted pictures in this thread of their modifications (see apge two of the thread).

The fiberglass work is doable. You;re basically just grinding/cutting off the squared shoulders and patching/painting the fiberglass.

The critical element is the width of your cowl. If too wide or narrow the stock TD frame will not fitproperly. If it matches a stock TD, then you can modify the fiberglass.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

IMHO, far and away, the easiest (no fiberglass work and no paint) way is to use brackets like came on the Daytona TDr and a few others. If you and the others who are interested, you could get together and have some made (cast). From there, you would just bolt the new piece on, cut the extended old legs off your old windshield frame, and you’re done.
    Works good, easy peasy.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Roy that’s why I’m making my own set. Also it gives me a look at the cost and ease of making them. So far…so good. (IMHO)

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

PMOSSBERG wrote:
    Hi Kent,

Doug (dougsgarage) and Steve Struchen (mustang_evets) modified their cowls to accept TD brackets. They posted pictures in this thread of their modifications (see apge two of the thread).

The fiberglass work is doable. You;re basically just grinding/cutting off the squared shoulders and patching/painting the fiberglass.

The critical element is the width of your cowl. If too wide or narrow the stock TD frame will not fitproperly. If it matches a stock TD, then you can modify the fiberglass.

Thanks, Paul. Guess I should read more closely… 😡

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

No problem Kent!

I’m gonna wait and buy a set of frame covers from Allen! Handshake

And when somebody decides to replicate the folding brackets that Roy has, I’ll buy those too. Approve

Meanwhile, I’ll stick with the same windshield that I’ve had since 1982! And drink beer. Yeah. I’ll go have a beer while I wait! Beer

PMOSSBERG2014-10-28 15:47:36

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I just watched Funny Farm on the TV tonight and noticed the MG that Chevy Chase drove around in the movie had these brackets

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Chase’s MG in Funny Farm is an MG TF, and looks to be an original MG.

PMOSSBERG2014-11-07 09:35:46

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Well my homemade cowl brackets are completed and I’m having three sets made the machine shop that sold me the material and my test material.

Here are a couple of photos of my homemade cowl brackets

Allen Caron

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

Looks good ..Nice job. Should have a lot of call for these.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Those look pretty darn good!

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Allen, I want a pair if you’re taking orders!

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Me too. Maybe the drawing will do. I was a tool maker for 30 years and still know people who could make these .

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I got the template from Montie on this forum and will be glad to email it to anyone who wants a copy. (See what you started Montie! 🙂 )
    I have three sets being made locally. I’ll check tomorrow what the cost for a batch order would be and let you know. Today I’m going to try to squeeze in 18 holes before the rain moves in.

Next Saturday its the VW Bug-a-Paluza 17 on the GA TN border. (Can’t remember the name of the place. Its just on the TN border before Chattanooga.

newkitman2015-04-12 09:08:04

Allen Caron

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

How about a picture installed.
    I’m interested.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

It’ll be a bit before I install them. I’m using them as a go by for the machine shop. But if you look at the Forum Gallery, check out the photos of Montie’s car (Gallery number 1235). There are several photos of them installed.

Allen Caron

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Allen, Wow!!  Those turned out great!   I really didn’t do anything but trace the outline, you did the hard part.  Hey if anyone’s looking for a Ford TDR wife and I are talking about selling ours.  (Gallery 1235) I think.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Got the price for a set (left and right) cowl brackets from the local machine shop. made from 14GA stainless steel. $250 for a set. I told them that was more than I could afford. I think I’ll stick to making them myself. Quality may not be as good as a professional machine shop but…its way cheaper. I’ll try another set to improve my quality and see what happens and report back. Anyone know what price a set costs if ordered from MG Magic? They used to sell them.

Allen Caron

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I think I paid 85.00 for my set when they just had a few left.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Wonder what they’d want to mill them from aluminum stock? Stainless steel is expensive, and since they’re only ornamental….

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I second Rob’s request. Might we see a picture installed?

Thanks.

Paul Mossberg

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Here’s the email traffic between me and MG Magic on the brackets.

Me: I have a Fiberfab MGTD kit. Some of the folks in our TD
    Replica club have a bracket or cover for the windshield vertical posts where
    the windshield connects to the body.
    A number of our VW-based kit owners (myself included) would like
    to have those brackets
    for our MGTDs. Would you have any of those in stock from the
    chevy-based kits that we could mount to our VW-based TDs?

MG Magic: The windshield post brackets are
    not currently in stock.
    Can you email a list of names
    and numbers, and we can call them when they are back in stock.
    They will not be available until around spring of next year.

Me: Just following up on your
    response (see above). Have you received any more sets of windshield post
    brackets? I still would like a set and there are at least a dozen or more of our MGTD Replica club members who want them.

MG Magic: Sorry, but we have not been able to get the windshield post covers into production yet.

I’m still going to try and make another set but out of a little thinner stainless steel. Maybe 18 or 22 gauge from Lowes or Home Depot. Will post when they are made and will add a couple of photos of them mounted. More to come………….

newkitman2015-04-28 13:34:55

Allen Caron

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Today I was in Amish country looking at new kitchen stuff .I said to the Amish dude . Do any Amish do stainless steel work . He said a couple of miles down the road there is a guy who can make anything out of stainless and he does nice work . I didn’t have a lot of time today but I plan on a visit before I go to Carlisle . Does anyone know if all of are cars take the same bracket . I expect they would be very cheap and very nice . I will keep you posted           

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I know the Fiberfab kits take the same one and I suspect the LRs and BCWs do also. I have only seen them on Chevy Shove it (Chevette) Fiberfab kits. However they are in the Pinto and VW based Fiberfab assembly manuals. Possibly an option? Update…..I checked the assembly manuals in the tab on the left and they are shown(mentioned) only in the CMC/Fiberfab VW-based kits. But Montie sent me the template and his TDR is a Chevy based kit. newkitman2015-04-30 20:47:35

Allen Caron

Royal
    Participant

@royal

If we are talking about stainless covers for the legs of the straight legged windshield extensions, then to the best of my knowledge, these covers would only be necessary on Fiberfab, CRC and a few other models. 

The covers that Alan made would not work on Daytona, LR, or BCW TDr’s.  The Daytona and LR have heavy cast aluminum brackets which are similar, but not the same as on TD’s.  They can be modified to allow the windshield to lay down.  It is possible that other models have the heavy aluminum brackets as they were often listed as an option.  The heavy aluminum brackets came in two varieties, one for fixed and another for laying the windshield down.

The BCW brackets are chromed steel very similar if not exactly like sold by Moss Motors and found on real TD’s.   

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.