Design Classics

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Design Classics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hugh Coffey
    Participant

@grandpajo

Has anyone ever heard of Design Classics? I recently purchased a kit car made by them. It looks like a Fiberfab. If anybody has any info I would appreciate it.   I can’t find anything about them on the web.

GrandpaJo40614.4202083333

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

There is one other Design Classics MG owner on our forum. His name is Charlie and his screen name is kschas.

Here is what I was able to determine. When Charile first joined he had the same question about the origin of his car. I checked with a lot of sources and could not find much about Design Classics.

Here is the thread on Charlie’s car:
    https://tdreplica.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=970&P N=5

Here’s what I was able to learn about Design Classics:

Design Classics built replicas of the MG-TD and the 1957 Thunderbird in their
    Minnetonka, Minnesota factory in the early 1980s. Their MG replica was
    called the eMGe and fit on a VW chassis. The Teebird also bolted to a VW
    pan and left plenty of luggage room up front where the engine should
    have been.

The company is long gone.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

charlie
    Participant

@kschas

Grandpa Jo That looks good. Mine isnt there yet but Its getting closer. Would it be possible for you to send me photos of the back end of you car. Im getting ready build a tire mount and I would like to see how yous is made. Its good to know someone else has a kit like mine.  Charlie

mike
    Participant

@mikeeva

i found this in an old kit car catalog.the teebird is on another page if you want to see it

Curtis Macdonald
    Participant

@foghorn

I just purchased this Design Classic kit car. It will need a few pieces to get her back in shape, but it’s a nice start.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Hi Foghorn,  Welcome to the forum. That is indeed a nice start!!!You’ll enjoy putting the finishing touches on it. If a body part has to be replaced,the apron would probably be on of the easier parts to find.I see it is still on the car, You could probably repair it if you cannot find one.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m already envious, after one photo. You have a lift! Part of my dream garage!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Nice front tag.

Curtis Macdonald
    Participant

@foghorn

Getting close to firing her up! Removed the gas tank and cleaned it out. It’s going back in tomorrow. I installed all new tune up stuff today. I will probably remove the dash tomorrow and build my own replacement. I want to find a real nice piece of Mahogony or something with a beautiful grain. I have a cabinet shop that will jig out the perimeter and I will finish it up. My dash now, is split apart and beyond repair. Once I address the front apron issue, I will be able to reinstall the front bumper and components.

Next, I will need to find a good source to get the top material. I have the frame, that’s it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.