electronic Ignition Recommendations

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Non MGTD Kit Cars electronic Ignition Recommendations

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Guess I’m putting together my Christmas list. I have always used points and condenser for all my VW ignition systems. Going to enter the 21st century and get electronic ignition. Compufire, Petronix or some other brand. Any recommendations on which will serve me the best. Running stock 1600 dual port with SVDA and 34PICT3 carb.

Thanks and Merry Christmas y’all! 🙂

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Can’t recommend a whole distributor — you may want to consider just trying to find a points replacement module to replace the points in your original factory distributor.

Though I have a Pertronix SVDA sitting here, unopened, I’m a bit reluctant to even try it until after significant road-testing.  (I’m currently running an aftermarket 009 with electronic module on the 1679cc.) There’s a lot of discussion on Samba about problems with the Pertronix vacuum advance/retard not working correctly, especially with duals. I have the additional challenge that with dual carbs, I have less vacuum and the potential of vacuum pulses…

So, I’m waiting until farther down the road to mess with it…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

So far I’ve had good results with pertronix, first one was a drop in replacement for an 009 and then I got a complete distributor with SVDA. Just make sure you get the right model replacement for use with the vacuum advance.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Wow! Thanks guys. Didn’t know there was a requirement for SVDA or mechanical distributors. Great info. I’ll have to check them out.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I ran a petronix module in Bridget, which had an SVDA and a 34 PICT 3 like yours. Worked perfectly once I turned the thing to correct timing. I had set it static with points and the Petronix system required me to turn the disty about 25 degrees for the same timing. I ended up using a timing light to get it to 28 degrees before TDC at 3000 rpm. About a month after I put it in the coil failed. Turned out to be unrelated. Put a new one in and never messed with it after that, 2-3 whole seasons. 

All that said, I did keep a complete spare disty under the driver’s seat, rigged with points, condenser and a good cap, just in case. 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.