Electronic Ignition

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Electronic Ignition

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

I’m considering electronic ignition for MiGi.  Petronix vs the others.  Please help me decide with comments about one vs the others – pro’s and cons.  Unless you just bought yours, I’ll find the best deal by shopping.  Am more interested in reliability, performance, quirks, installation ease and unexpected oddities. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I know a lot of people that are very happy with Pertronix.

The spark unit in the Pertronix may fail. If it does you are stuck…unless you have the mechanical parts to put back.

So keep the old points, condenser and rotor in your car.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Robert J.Smith
    Participant

@smitty

I have used Pentroics in several of my cars. I will also use it in my migi. I have never had one fail yet . But you never know!

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I have thought about Petronix for my Ghia and TD but I haven’t done enough looking yet. Is the Petronics electronic ignition used on mechanical distributors ONLY or can they be used on a vacuum advance distributor as well? Not saying that the guys using vacuum advance distributors don’t use Petronics I just don’t know anyone other than mechanical distributor users that do.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

It works on both.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Cool beans!!  Thanks Paul.  Thumbs Up

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

I have used them on 3 other cars, one with a CD ignition box,  all have worked great.  One is 12 years old and hasn’t missed a beat.    

BTW, does anyone who used to drive an old points type ford remember having to find old beer pull tabs on the side of the road to set their spare points when the old ones burned out every 3 months? Cool
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

No, but I remember that in the 1950’s many of us carried a feeler gauge around in our pocket.  The cover of a standard match book was perfect for setting the points on a MGTD 1500.  

Robert J.Smith
    Participant

@smitty

I used a match book cover to set my points on my 57 ford also.

Donna Bryant
    Participant

@dkbryant

I also give the Petronix “thumbs up”.  We have used it on a ’71 Mustang Mach1 – 429CJ, a ’66 Mustang – 289, and my dad’s Ford tractor that was built in the 50’s I think.  Since I haven’t yet been able to drive my VW / TD, I hadn’t even considered it.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Those Mustangs sound sweet. Do you still have them?

Paul Mossberg

Donna Bryant
    Participant

@dkbryant

Paul – I wish we could have kept both of them, but they were both sold – Can only afford one toy at a time.  Plus not having enough garage space.  Over on the “other rides” section, I just posted pictures of both of these and the current mustang that has assigned space in the garage next to my TD.

Hugh Coffey
    Participant

@grandpajo

I have the Petronics on my MG Replica and have never had a problem. They work great, no points to mess with. The only way to fly.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Thanks guys,  they are on my shopping list.  But, I’ll keep the points in the car also (just in case).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.