engine bay bad fuel filter cheap or ?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits engine bay bad fuel filter cheap or ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob
    Participant

@lrh

A small thing to worry over… depending on how you yourselves think of this kind of thing.

:o:D

When swapping out this fuel filter for a coupler on the line going into the fuel pump I found it had a hole at the sealant stuff. And interestingly I realized gasoline was trapped on the other side of that, yet could not flow out regardless of my attempts to shake it around to do so.

I was already wanting to get rid of it anyway after seeing boiling gasoline inside it this summer, and I know most people don’t like these plastic filters. My car came with one there, I only replaced it with a new filter sometime earlier this year.
    Considered one for the fuel pump to carburetor line instead but having checked the little filter inside the carb it didn’t look like I needed any filters, other than the one I’m using at the gas tank end. Was very clean to my eyes.
    Any consensus on using a better filter between pump and carb anyhow? I’ve seen that done but usually just another plastic type there. Metal ones would seem like more heat buildup possible, or I just worry about that now.
    I think it was already getting too much vaporized gas in the line before.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

That filter is designed for small engine applications…lawn mowers and such. Go get one designed for automotive use.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Thanks for your input Bill.

I’ve got the same filter at the fuel tank so I will be replacing that one too. Going to leave the engine bay filterless for now.
    I’ve seen so many pictures of other VW’s using this kind of filter, except many of them are somewhat different because of a cylindrical paper element with metal ring on at least one end.
    A ‘net search for filters and first thing shown was similar (if not same) type of filter I have, saying it’s for a ’75-’79 MG. Brand and part #: 

Beck Arnley 043-0108

After giving my filters another look they say CHINA, not the same part number either. Anyway… seems like there might be more people than just me using this self-destructing kind. FYI this part # here is: FF7144DL

LRH2015-09-24 02:32:22

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The standard VW Type 1 fuel filter is fine…

Even though millions of VW’s ran for millions of miles with the plastic filter in the stock location, the Speedster guys swear you don’t want the fuel filter hanging over a hot engine. Most move it to just after the steel fuel line exits from the center tunnel. A little harder to get to to inspect and change. But probably safer. 

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Have you relocated yours, Paul? If so, has it been worth the trouble?

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Having lost a 69 Bug years ago to an engine fire, I always relocate them to the front of the car near the gas tank. For TDr’s they’re usually easily accessible from there underneath the bonnet. But, I’ve also put them underneath directly above where the metal tubing enters the tunnel. Since these can easily last 20,000 miles or more, it’s not like you need to easily/frequently access them…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I agree with Kent.  Locally they are referred to as engine fire starters. Putting a cheap plastic filter in a hot area without clamps and right next to a source of ignition (that there coil thingy :0) ) is never a good idea. Especially when it is the only fuel line under any kind of pressure. Mine. a metal one, is located up front on the side opposite the master cylinder, just before the fuel line attaches the tunnel tube. And I use clamps on all my fuel hose connections. With all that being said, I still carry a fire extinguisher for those ……… in case situations.

newkitman2015-09-24 12:39:46

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I confess I have not relocated in on my TDr. And I don’t spend much time worrying about it either. I understand the risk. And I have heard of a couple fires. But it is a fact that Beetles were not burning to the ground on a regular basis. I know…I’m blowing in the wind. 😉

And of course my factory built Intermeccanica Roadster had the filter in front of the air shroud when I bought it.

PMOSSBERG2015-09-24 15:20:16

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Anybody ever try the metal ones I see at Walmart or Auto zone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.