Engine on + pressing clutch pedal = noise

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars MP Lafer Engine on + pressing clutch pedal = noise

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mauricio
    Participant

@mricio

Hi gang,
    Hope everyone is OK.

Here’s Hoping you can help.  My MP Lafer, which I only get to start on weekends, started making an odd noise when the clutch pedal is pressed down, while the engine is running.  

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Recently, I had to fix a leak from one of my rear wheels and I had my mechanic add more transmission fluid  (but that was months ago, I doubt it has anything to do with the leak).

Thanks much,
    Mauricio :O) 

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

MRICIO    You might need a new” throughout bearing ” or  clutch, that is where i would start

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Just a quick thought. Take a look at your Bowden Tube. That tube needs a certain amount of bend in it. If its too little it tends to chatter when the clutch is engaged. You adjust the bend by adding or subtracting washers between the end of the tube and the bracket.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Mauricio
    Participant

@mricio

Wow. That was quick.  Thanks for your quick responses.  Could this also be caused by the ‘clutch release bearing?’

The car is in neutral. Just on and the noise occurs when the clutch pedal is pressed down.

It was fine two weeks ago.

I will ask my mechanic after the holidays, but in the meantime, I wanted to consult with you guys (the real experts).

Thanks again and have a great night!

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I’m with Ray10 on the throwout bearing.  With the engine out of hte car and while you are in there replacing it, you of course will want to consider a new clutch disk and possibly pressure plate.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Clutch release bearing is the throw out bearing ray 10 was referring to. That is definitely a possibility. If it makes the noise only when shifting gears its a good sign that its either the clutch starting to wear or more likely the throw out bearing. The Bowden tube would make a chattering noise thats pretty distinct and it wouldn’t likely just start…it would have been like that for a while.newkitman40895.9370601852

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Mauricio
    Participant

@mricio

Guys, Thanks for your help.  It really only makes the noise when pressing down on the clutch pedal. The car uses a 68 VW engine and chassis, I am going to assume the throwout bearing is the same as the 68 beetle.
    Thanks again for your help !

Hugh Coffey
    Participant

@grandpajo

You might want to look for any traces of oil showing in a streak when the engine is out to replace the throw out bearing. I would almost bet on a throw out bearing. I would also replace the clutch disk when it is apart. The disk is cheap. Buy good quality parts for the bearing. There some Chinese parts out there, and they are trouble. Good luck and welcome.

Hugh Coffey
    Participant

@grandpajo

The oil streaks would indicate a leaking front main seal. The big price is pulling the engine.

Mauricio
    Participant

@mricio

Guys,
    It was the throwout bearing and one of the boots was cracked.

I was lucky to find a good vw mechanic in South Florida and he has since overhauled my engine.

All I really needed was the throwout bearing and a new boot.  But hey, now I have a new engine.

My mechanic also noticed the bowden tube needed to be welded in place and that is where I am now.

He replaced the clutch cable, clutch, plate, and now the car has trouble engaging in gear (probably because of the bowden tube?)

Luckily, he will try to fix this issue this Saturday.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.