Exhaust noise

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Manufacturer Comparison Exhaust noise

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Willins
    Participant

@john-alexander

I am wondering if there is any way I can quiet down my
    vehicle exhaust. (Just thinking I’d like to stay on good terms with my
    neighbors).  It might also be nice to be able to enjoy some music when
    out for a drive.

Looks like a standard VW muffler, but there a twin trumpet style tailpipes on both sides.  Could replacing these be the answer?

Any thoughts on how to get a quieter ride would be appreciated.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Many guys run this Monza:

http://www.justkampers.com.au/monza-4-tip-exhaust-bundle-kit-vw-t2-and-vw-beetle-1300cc-1600cc-1963-on.html

Or a single tip version:

http://www.mofoco.com/item/EMPI_3487_SINGLE_EXHAUST_MUFFLER_CHROME_TIP_VW_BUG_GHIA/390/c55

But remember, these are air cooled engines in uninsulated engine compartments. They’ll never really be quiet.

PMOSSBERG2016-02-19 23:50:35

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

You are also sitting in an open car with your ears only a few inches away from the engine compartment (remember, your driver’s seat is where the back seat used to be).. That alone makes it noisier than a standard Beetle.

I have been thinking along the same lines, however. I’m thinking to put a snorkel on my carb to put the intake as far away as possible, then to make a fiberglass liner for the spare so it seals to the engine lid and blocks any airflow (i.e. noise) coming from that location, which is the closest to my ears. Of course, normal Dynamat-type sound insulation all over and seals around the rest of the engine compartment are also part of the plan. It wouldn’t exactly be quiet, but it might move most of the noise farther away and hence “seem” quieter.

Also, Dynamat and thick carpet padding throughout the interior will reduce road noise entering the cabin. Engine noise would be unaffected, but the overall noise levels might drop a decibel or two by keeping the road noise out.

John Willins
    Participant

@john-alexander

Maybe I’ll just live with (and adjust to/enjoy) the sound levels for a while…and try to remember not to start up early in the morning for the neighbors’ sake.  Thanks for the information.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

If it is truly a stock muffler, you could replace the “flared trumpet” tailpipes with stock-style tailpipes and make it significantly quieter. Stock tailpipes have a layer of sound baffling all the way around the interior of the tailpipe, which makes a quite noticeable difference.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Personally, I like the sound of the engine on my LR.
    It has a nice throaty rumble.
    It IS more amplified with the top and wings up. Seems to box in the sound.

Amor Conquista Todo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.