Fiber Fab seats

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Fiber Fab seats

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Kelley
    Participant

@yosemitesam

I have had three of these kitcars.In all three the seats jam me up against the steering wheel.Does anyone know an easy solution or a different set of seats that will work. Thanks for any input. I am 76 and I need confort.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I’ve taken the seat back and put it up on the package tray. Cut it down for height. I’ve also taken a few inches out of the seat base.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

My kit came with a bench type seat but I’m thinking about trading it in for a set of VW buckets…Has anyone had any luck with those or should I just have my wooden bench seats redone? It sounds like some of you have had problems with seats…I wouldn’t mind sitting a little lower to the ground but not at the expense of being any closer to the dash…

I’m afraid I’d have to start cutting down on Da Beers!!!

Lol!!!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

If these are VW pan cars there’s not too much that can be done. I don’t think VW bucket seats will work without modification, because the seat placement on a TD replica is about where the back seats on the bug were. The way the pan and the tunnel are shaped, you don’t have the width to put the stock bucket there.

The fiberglass bulkhead that covers the transaxle could be modified a little, and the seat back could be made thinner or, like Bill did, effectively eliminated.

But the best way to get this done, imho, is by changing the angle of the seat base. The wood or glass pedestal your set is mounted two tilts you back just so much. Make it tilt more, lowering the rear a bit, and you’ll gain a little chest room.

If you’re doing a seat remodel I recommend a bench back with individual buckets for the seat part. That’s what the original cars had and it looks frankly much cooler than either a regular bench or modern buckets.

They can be made very comfortable as well.

Jerry Kelley
    Participant

@yosemitesam

I’ve seen a couple with bucket seats since I started this. They look roomy but don’t know what kind of seats they are.I am thinking of trying some Mustang seats( 65,66 ) or Mustang II if I can find them. Thanks for the ideas. I have it for sale but don’t really want to sell it.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Somewhere on this site I did a repair with pictures of the wood base seats that eliminates the painful numbing and on top of it allows more distance from the steering  wheel and sits you lower in the car. I am a big guy ( working on that) and have no issues with my seating position etc. Others on here have seen my seating and will agree.

I think it was called DBS or something like that…( dead butt syndrome ) – do a site search.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Here is Schu’s Seat Fix post:

https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/seat-fix/

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

This is another option to gain more room:

https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/moving-seats-back/

Scroll down to the second post in the thread.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That second link (above) is the bomb! Thanks Paul.

“Picnic Mode!” Brilliant.

Man I gotta look into that…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.