Fiberfab/CMC

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Manufacturer Comparison Fiberfab/CMC

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I almost put this in the maunuacturer comparrison section but decided its better here. This is just an observation on my part that I thought I’d pass on. Paul if you want to move it or delete it feel free.

There have been several comments about the fit of early and late Fiberfab kits. When Fiberfab was purchased by CMC the kits started being quite different. The biggest difference being what I call the combo kit (part Fiberfab and part CMC) like mine. The major difference being the body fit. Many of us with the combined kits have the same body fit issues. Like many others (Gabe, STG INC, etc), I can actually fit a 2 x 4 under the front firewall and the floorpan. I have to cut the front firewall and add fiberglass so the firewall can be bolted to the floorpan. Same issue on the inner sides of the body. I’m beginning to think that the CMC body tub is about 1/2-inch shorter all around than Fiberfab body tub. Just something to think about if you happen to have a kit with mixed parts. My body tub is has a part number that starts with 84 (the year made) and the fender part numbers are 83; side cowls are 83 and hood is 84. Everything else is 84.

Hopefully this will help others with combined kits.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Allen

I  know its been some time since you wrote the above article. I have a FF Migi. But I have no idea its origins or year of make etc. I was told the Bug donor was a 68 but the running gear is all 71. (how the heck can I tell) You mentioned a body numbers etc. Where do I find them , it may be a clue as to where this thing came from. The po said he purchased the car in Vegas, but the guy he got it from purchased it in SoCal somewhere. I have a title saying its a 52 MG! Any help would be appreciated.

John the Brit

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

I have a title dated March 27, 1984, signed by a VP of Fiberfab, Rita M. Wallach, and found info showing her directly related to Fiberfab International, Inc. and Southeastern Classic Cars, Inc.

Here’s the web page:

LRH2015-05-28 22:01:08

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

George Levine, mentioned on the page LRH linked to, was the snake behind CMC.

After CMC was closed down by the State of Florida, the dear Mr. Levine reappeared as Street Beasts…a company as equally disreputable as CMC became.

FiberFab kits and cars before they were bought by CMC are a different breed than those built after CMC ownership.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Paul

I have found a number on my car, Im not sure it relates to the body or serial number. I did some excavation under the FF logo on the firewall and found it there. It could be a body or serial number but it doesn’t seem to match the format I have read on the forum. They usually start with FMXXXXX My number is 929323/R Any clues as to what this is?

Regards John

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi John,

No idea.

It was typical to use some abreviated form of company name and a serial number, often indicating the year too. But there is no standard format for a kit manufacturer supplied serial number.

Not sure what to make of “929323/R”

PMOSSBERG2015-05-29 15:47:12

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Paul

Thanks for the input. I was hopefull that the guru of MG TDrs would have some answers for me. From the notes here I can tell Allen Caron was on the same quest as myself. Maybe another member will see the post and have some more clues for me to follow.

Thanks again

John

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

John,
    I waited until I got home to check my info. The Fiberfab kits did indeed start with the letters FM followed by 4 numbers. As explained to me the F = Fiberfab; the M = MGTD; and the 4 numbers were the kit number produced up to that date. My TDr has all the part numbers hand etched on each piece and all started with 43 which supposedly meant the third quarter of 84 which seems to fit with the date the original owner purchased the kit. I’ll search around some more and see if I can find the paperwork rather than my Excel file which somehow disappeared.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Thanks Allen,

Im just wondering if that number I found under the FF logo on the firewall is a part number  of some kind? It is molded into the resin and seems kind of elaborate for just a part #. I mean someone built the thing you would think there was some kind of way to verify who, what or where that was. Im told SoCal, the car came to me via Socal, Vegas and Tucson. The guy I purchased it from said when he bought the car it came with a 68 bug title, a 71 Bug title and a FF title all for the same car! None of these titles were from NV where he purchased the car. From memory he said the bug titles were from CA, the FF from another state that he couldn’t remember. He took all of the intel to MVD in Tucson and they made a new title of a 52 MG. He trashed the old titles. He had the car for four years but only did 4100 miles in the car.

Thanks for the help, John

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.