Fitting Wire Wheels on a MiGi

Home Forums General Discussion Fitting Wire Wheels on a MiGi

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

I am in the process of fitting wire wheels to the MiGi TDr, Here are the adapter I purchased from MWS in the UK. Very nice and made just for the VW bolt pattern. I have purchased some like new used 15 inch 48 spoke wires off of ebay. I have also purchased the liners and the tubes from Moss. I am looking for a local company that can mount and balance them and repair two bent spokes. If you have any suggestions let me know.

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Another picture

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

one more

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Very pretty.  Already drilled for the VW pattern?  (That’s almost like cheating.) These look exactly like Triumph adapters.  I assume that the wheels are standard 48 spoke MG/Tr wheels?  If so, you will probably need new wheel lug bolts that have a shorter hex/dome that don’t hit the wire wheel inner basket.  

If you need a couple of new spokes, Rimmer Bros in the UK carries them.  I’m not sure you should try  “repairing” a bent spoke.  Especially on a 48 spoke wheel.  (Mine are 72 spoke)  Did you get chromed, or stainless, or painted wheels? 

…and you’ll need one of those 17(I think) ply plywood things to help you tighten and take off your fancy new two eared knock offs. 

Even though I have 72 spoked wheels, I much prefer the look of the 48’s, but you gotta keep your underside nice and sparkly clean ’cause everything shows. 

Royal2016-02-27 14:14:31

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

find a good bicycle guy. servicing them is just like a cycle wheel or a good motorcycle shop I’m in pgh,pa if your up this way I can do it have a trueing stand & wrenches for the job

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Yeah Royal –  drilled for vw and ready to go. I should be able to replace a bent spoke. It is very slight but I know good wire wheel shops can do it. Yes,’i will have to look for lugs with a shorter head. I am not sure what color to paint them. Yes they are painted. I may go with the standard silver but I have been toying with the idea of black. It will be interesting to see how much the adapters add to the track of the car.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Thanks crash. If you are in Pburg that might not be a bad ride. Let me see what I can find locally. I appreciate the offer!

Royal
    Participant

@royal

If mine weren’t chromed, I’d be black. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Oh man… This has the potential to cause bank account problems for a lot of TDr owners.

These are the first adapters I have ever seen, drilled for the VW bolt pattern.

Here is MWS’ web site:

http://www.mws.co.uk/site/cms/contentChapterView.asp?chapter=1

VW is not in the fitment guide. The adapter parts numbers are RSK380 (right side) and RSK381 (left side).

They increase the track by 1.25 inches on each side.

And the angels rejoiced!

PMOSSBERG2016-02-28 10:37:50

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

It’s a sad sad day for us old timers who adapted Triumph wire wheel adapters to fit VW’s 130mm bolt pattern.  My MiGi just got a lot less unique. 

However, I’m happy for those of you who have wanted “real” British knock-off wire wheels.  (I guess.)   

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

I have created a monster! It’s…….ALIVE!!!!

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

One of my customers saw my car today for the first time and informed me he has a set of knock off wire wheels from his daughters 1966 MGB. All he has is the wheels. No attaching parts. He says he’ll bring them in for me to photograph. If anyone has interest, stay tuned for photos. He sounds as if he’ll accept any reasonable offer.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Mickey Richaud
    Participant

@mickeyrichaud

One of my customers saw my car today for the first time and informed me he has a set of knock off wire wheels from his daughters 1966 MGB. All he has is the wheels. No attaching parts. He says he’ll bring them in for me to photograph. If anyone has interest, stay tuned for photos. He sounds as if he’ll accept any reasonable offer.

Just a heads-up:  MGB wheels are 14″ diameter.  Won’t look “right” on T-series, replica or original.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Sorry, Mickey-Richard, but I put real British knock off wire wheels from a Triumph Stag on my TDr about 4 years ago.  I also put slightly larger P185x75R14 tires on.  The result is almost identical outer tire diameter as the popular TD 165R15 tires so as to not change the car’s profile …….and the speedometer is still accurate.  You’ve got to be mighty good to look at my car and tell that I have 14″ tires.  I have yet to see anyone turn their nose up.  Quite the opposite.  Even from real TD owners.

I will add, however, that if you intend to put disc brakes on a VW chassis’ed TDr (which I also did) you may have to do minor modification to the calipers to fit them.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The key metric to watch out for is the inch increase in track width, imho.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Yes, 14″x4-1/2″.

Oh, and the wires on my car are 14″. Look great.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Mickey Richaud
    Participant

@mickeyrichaud

OK, I concede. 🙂

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Very nice! 😎  Sounds like you have a good plan. Remember to send us pics of the finished project!

Amor Conquista Todo

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

My British Coach Works Model ’52 has 14 Inch wheels too mounted with P185 75 R14 tires.  As far as I can tell the wheels are original to the car (factory manufacturered vintage 1986).

I’ve been looking for replacements and there is a Continenal 185 80 R14 called the “Vanco 8” which is the highest aspect ratio (width to height.. the “80” representing 80% of the width of the tire) I have been able to find in the US.

The Vredestein’s I see on many “Tin TD’s” even with 15 inch wheels are actually slightly smaller in diameter than a 185 75 R14.

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Ok, I stopped on my way home from work and, surprisingly, he had brought them in. Hopefully my photos will make it.

img_7601

img_7600

img_7603

img_7600

img_7599

All right! Four fronts and one rear(pulled at random). He has no use for these and basically wants the room they take up. He will pretty much accept the first offer he gets.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

How do the splines look in those, Bill?

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Does anyone know if the older style Triumph wire wheel set-up also increase the track by 1.25 inches on both sides like the MWS version?

I’m assuming the MSW wheels/rims are 15 inch.  I’m seeing references to the Triumph Spitfire wire rims being 13 inches?  Is that correct?

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

It does.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.