Fuel Tank Vent Line

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Fuel Tank Vent Line

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I couldn’t figure out the search function so here goes. What is the routing of the fuel tank vent hose? I know it was mentioned recently but can’t find the search function. Thanks.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

For what it’s worth:

I have uploaded three pics of my “final version” fuel tank vent to my media file – kall, media, photos.

I tapped a 1/8″ brass ell into the highest point of the tank.  A vent hose goes to a motorcycle type one way vent (air in as fuel is used) and also to a hose which runs under the frame to the rear of the car.  The gas filler cap is now unvented.

This solved the gas smell while driving problem but does nothing about the evaporation while parked problem.  Not a concern in my situation but could be in a tightly closed garage.

I suppose another solution would be to locate the parts for the original evap system and rebuild it to VW specs.

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Allen,

I was also having trouble getting the search function to work — but I think I have “cracked the code”

When I searched for “Fuel Tank Vent Line” I got around 25 hits going back to 2010!!

Here’s what I found:

I had to select the FORUMS tab at the top of the page.  Then I entered the  search string in the “search box” that appears on the forums page.  If you are not under that FORUMS tab the search function DOES NOT SEARCH the Forums history….not intuitive ==
    I got it to work by  fiddling  with it to get it to work……

Try a few searches and report if it worked for you

Happy Jack

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Jack. I followed your steps for the search engine and it worked very well.

I have the vent tube that ran from the trunk to the canister in the engine compartment from my old Ghia rebuild. Going to run the fuel vent hose to a section of that tubing. Probably will run the tube down through the front and then under the body (clamped to the body bolts)and vent it downward in front of the rear tire.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks  Allen. I copied your directions into a search forums thread in the “How-To Do Things in the Forums & on the Web-site” forum section.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks Paul. But I can’t take the credit for the search engine.  just followed Happy Jacks directions.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Well ok then. 😉

Thanks Jack!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.