FYI – TDR Sale Price

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits FYI – TDR Sale Price

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

Just thought the forum might be interested to know that my TDR now has a deposit for sale at $13,000.  I consigned it to Gateway Classic Cars in St. Louis and they sold it in a little over two months:  http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/saint-louis/1952/mg/td-S7203.html.

Even though the price seems fairly good, by the time I consider the cost of shipping it from Las Vegas to St. Louis ($1200) and their commission ($2500), I will net about $9300 on the sale.  That is a very tiny fraction of the money I put into it, but that was going to be true no matter who sold it or how.  The good thing about Gateway is that they do all the advertising and your car sits in a nice showroom for people to come and look at — also, they price and negotiate aggressively.  They took my car off my hands and gave me peace of mind, and you can’t put a price on that.  It might be fairly easy to sell a TDR in a large market like the Northeast, South Florida, or the LA area, but Las Vegas is a small and remote market (300 miles to LA) and it was going to be very hard selling the car myself on Hemmings, eBay, or Craigslist.  I tried once to sell it on eBay and the bidding only got up to $5900 (assuming that was even a legitimate offer), so relatively speaking Gateway worked out well for me even if it cost a lot.

Many thanks to the many fine people in this forum who helped me tremendously through this ordeal.  If I can, I will recommend the new owner join this forum.  Whoever it is, I wish him the best of luck with the car.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by John Simion.
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Congratulations on the sale John!

Still sorry to see you go!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Ditto. SOunds like something of a benchmark for TDr values too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.