Gas Caps

Home Forums General Discussion Gas Caps

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

I hate, Hate, HATE the stupid EPA approved plastic screw-in gas cap that my car came with!  

I have a British Coach Works front engined TD.  The gas is actually fed through the rear TD tank input but goes down into a “modern” under bodied tank in the rear.  Car came with one of those black plastic vented “clickie” screw-in caps that are usually hidden behind a fuel door.  The fueling neck is modern and I don’t want to replace it or futz with it that much right now.
    Been searching for a Chrome screw in cap and no one seems to have them.  An octagon one or vintage look locking cap would be sweet – but it has to be the screw in variety.
    Thoughts?  Suggestions?
    Tom  

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Huh? I just googled “chrome screw in gas cap” and a whole bunch of em showed up?

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

99.9% of these are motorcycle gas caps!  Smaller neck, different thread pattern.  I’m looking for a modern plastic underside but with a chrome top.   

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

This is like the ugly type I have now.  

The really nice ones I see online are all for Harley’s or other bikes, which I’m pretty sure are smaller in diameter than a generic automobile fuel filler. 

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’d adapt a flip-top cap like this. Or this. More work and money, but in the end you’ll be happy.

Take the gas tank cage and fake tank off. Cut off (or unclamp–you might get lucky!) the existing modern screw-type neck, and then clamp a rubber gas tank filler to the bottom of your new filler neck. Screw or bolt it to the top of your fake tank. Done. Looks like a TD. Works a treat. You’ll never lose it.

edsnova2016-01-19 08:44:24

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I don’t know how handy you are, but you may be able to make a “hybrid” from your existing cap and one from mgmagic. Use their chrome caps with your screw in end…
    Here is the link for their gas caps:
    http://www.mgmagicclassicmotorparts.com/search.php?search_query=gas+cap
    They’re pretty inexpensive so if you get one and it doesn’t work out your not breaking the bank…

Amor Conquista Todo

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

Just a thought. If you modify/adapt your actual gas filler neck you should probably include a ground wire linking all involved metal parts to the metal of the gas tank to guard against static electric sparks.

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

The Motorcycle Community has amazing looking caps – many are screw in.  Does anyone here know if the filler neck for a Harley is the same size as the generic looking cap I posted here?  That would be the simplest and most cost effective fix for my particular “problem”

Tom V.
    87 BCW (wicked ugly gas cap)
    NJ

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

I wonder how hard it would be to weld a motorcycle fill neck onto your gas tank?

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

The picture in edsnova is what I have on my 1986 BCW Chevette.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I owned my car about a month and lost the gas cap . Someone told me that it looked like one off a boat . I stopped a local marina store where he reached under the counter and pulled out a box of used chrome ones that they fished out of the water that were lost when the boat got gas . They looked like the one I lost . 6 bucks . Problem solved .

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

@ Ric.  Is this what your BCW and Edsnova has on it?  

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That is the BCW cap, per the original kit. I kind of wish it said “PETROL” instead of “GAS” but you can’t have everything now, can you?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.