gas line routing

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits gas line routing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Harry Lewis
    Participant

@spike-lewis

Hi,
    Seem to have a gas leak. Floor is soaked on passenger side. Drained most of gas and the pan the gas tank sits in is dry. Took out battery and battery pan to follow gas line. Found gas filter approx 1/2 inch from firewall. Seems a bit wet there. Would like to replace whole gas line but can’t find where it goes after entering firewall. Do you think I’m on the right track

Thanks
    Spike

Harry Lewis
    Participant

@spike-lewis

Here is a pic of the filter, very close to the firewall (?) Can’t find where it goes from there. The little section of hose looks old. Going to be a bugger to change filter (there is a filter like this one by the carburetor.) The front part of the hose goes to the gas tank is in new looking.

Thanks,

Spike  

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Weird. I think your gas line should be inside the tunnel (help me out there, VW experts?)

If that is the case, then the P.O. ran his own setup through the passenger compartment, probably because the stock one rusted or otherwise leaked. This is OK. Lot of cars have hard lines running along the outboard pan edge or the tunnel–it’s where I put them on Bridget. 
    On the other side of that “firewall” you will probably find a dead space. On my car, I ended up cutting a bunch of ports into it to gain access to stuff like the Master cylinder rod and (later for the swap) room to put my fuel pump and coolant lines. If yours is like mine there will be a space there and, in your case, some ancient rubber or neoprene fuel hose, which has worn out from age and the alcohol in modern fuel. You need to get to it to replace it. so either cut in where you’ve shown us or go in under the fenders, or both. Make covers for the holes and put them back with big sheet metal or wood screws. Use a little silicone caulk around the openings too.
    On fuel filters: Best to put one right at the tank outfall, like 4-6 inches from the nipple. There it should be both visible and accessible from under the hood. 
    The second one should go back near the engine, but it’s much better and safer to put it forward of (i.e., toward the front of the car from) the fan shroud. That will keep it from starting a fire if it ever ruptures or leaks. 
    You’ll see a hard line going through the shroud and there should be a little grommet on the metal to keep the shroud from cutting the line. It probably won’t be there, so replace it with a little bit of your new fuel hose when you get that. 
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    ede

edsnova2014-08-10 15:25:06

Harry Lewis
    Participant

@spike-lewis

Hi Ede,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I’m going to open up the firewall where the gas line goes through and see what’s there. Plan to change all the hose with the filter up front by the tank like you suggested. My first leak was up top, the little hose that “t fitting” into the 19/32 hose (smog or vapors ?) Runs along top of tank by the windshield. It was leaking real good from there. But that connection is on drivers side, do you think it made its way to inside the passenger side? I can’t see any leaking but will change line anyways
    Thanks
    Spike
    Spike Lewis2014-08-11 16:41:17

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.