generator help

Home Forums General Discussion generator help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I have been having trouble with my London Roadster Vw powered with a generator The amp meter is on minus side of zero . I put a new voltage regulator in nothing changed used contact cleaner replaced wires from generator to voltage regulator no change .       Then I hit the generator with a hammer went to plus side of meter and improves as i  rev it up even with light on its still good . You drive a few miles down the road back to minus side on amp meter hit with hammer again back to plus side of zero . Before I have the generator rebuilt I would like to have some imput .

greg

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Greg, sounds like your brushes are not making good contact.  The brushes are typically blocks of carbon which are held in to make contact the commutator by springs.  You probably either need new brushes or perhaps new springs.  I would be surprised if someone on YouTube has not posted a repair.  All generators are pretty much the same (except in physical size).

Greg Johannsen
    Participant

@gregj

Have you tried the generator brush test?

http://www.vw-resource.com/generator.html

Described well on this site.

greg

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I want to thank all of you who helped with my generator problem . As I see it you remove the carb a few bolts .Find a 36mm socket and it comes out . send it out for rebuild put it back tighter and away you go.

thanks again

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Greg, I didn’t look generators up but a few years ago, I found that a new (rebuilt) starter (NAPA) was cheaper than having mine rebuilt.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Don’t forget that when you get the new or rebuilt generator installed you will have to “flash” the generator to set up its magnetic properties in the windings. Simple job that some folks forget about.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Ian Tait
    Participant

@iantait

I had the same problem when I bought this mg td rep I took it to a service place they replaced the regulator worked when I picked it up but 19 mins later didn’t took it back asked for the old regulator back took the new one out put the old one back in started working for a few hours that told me bad connections cleaned connections on regulator and generator stared working for a while and stopped finally found the problem bad battery connection changed the battery clamps no problems since hope that is your problem

Ian Tait
    Participant

@iantait

If u have a vw engine in your car its not a matter of taken out a few bolts and taken out the generator google replace generator on 70 plus vw

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.