Gone and Done It

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Gone and Done It

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

That’s pretty much it.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The car keeps getting smaller.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

So Bill, I assume that you are shooting to finish by Carlisle.  Are you going to put on those wire wheels that you teased me with?

From a previous post of yours:
    “I’ve been holding this photo back. This is from my initial build in 1989.
    I still have these wheels in my basement waiting for the alteration of
    my car’s “patina”.

How will we recognize you at the show grounds?  No signature patina.  Wire wheels.  Oh I know, – you’ll be the guy with those winning Autocross times.  
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Nope! He’ll be the guy with the driver’s door open on the right hand turns! LOL

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I doubt I can afford to replace the 20 year old tires this year, Roy. And I’m sure I’ll be able to keep the doors closed.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Dissassembly is complete. I started the fiberglass work this afternoon. In my haste to get this on the road in 1989 I chose not to glass the upper and lower tubs together. This is finally going to get done. I wonder if it will make a difference?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Bill, maybe it’ll stiffen the body a little and the doors will stay closed!

I’m just sayin’ Thumbs Up

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Couldn’t hurt.

Wait…did you say you are rolling on tires that were new during the Clinton administration? Cause I know you know that ain’t good.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I HAVE tires, I’m not using tires that old

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

The weather is not cooperating. Cold and damp. We have managed to do some of the initial fiberglass repair. The form for the new flanges and the first layer of the body sealing are underway.

A few more layers of glass and we can start coloring.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Not pleased with the way the new fiberglass flanges were turning out, so tonight I cut them all out. Need to rethink the method of obtaining a sharp corner. All I was getting was a rounded edge.
    We may be at Carlisle as a super light.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Bill, I assume that you are talking about an outside edge?  You should be able to build it up a git too big, and then grind or sand it down to quite a sharp edge.  

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Glass does not like to bend sharp corners. Get a good structure with an almost sharp edge, then use some fiberglass body putty, the kind with very finely chopped glass. Or else make up your own using polyester mixed with microbeads or wood flour. For a strong outside corner, the fine chopped glass putty works best. You can also cut your own fiberglass into very small bits and mix with polyester and build up the edge that way.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I’ve decided to use a plastic outside corner bead used in finishing drywall as my starting flange. It’s extremely flexible and should give me the smart corner I was looking for. Once covered in fiberglass it should supply enough support as a bolted flange.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Great idea! I think I’ll use that one for some of my fiberglass surgery.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I was going to suggest a bit of aluminum flashing. I think that corner piece might be better yet.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Running Boards aren’t finished yet, but the main tub has been repaired. Wheels back on and off the stands. Pushed it out to wash it off and begin the finish sanding in prep for paint. Supposed to be a nice weekend so hopefully we can start with some color.

Boy, this thing is small without the wings. I’m thinking of mounting the engine management components and taking it for a ride stripped down. Might be fun.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Bill, are you going to shoot the patina cover yourself?  

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Going to use a marine product and brush it on. Sounds bizarre, but going to see how it works out. If it’s horrible, I can sand down whats on it and spray a topcoat. I have no paint booth facilities.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I used to live on an island in Florida where there were more boats than people and cars combined.  I have seen this done and the results were incredible.  On a boat, they often used very short nap roller but with all the swoops and angles we have on our TDs I expect that a brush would be better.  My son painted his Boston Whaler a few years ago with a brush and I thought it had been sprayed.  A very nice finish can be had this way, but the usual “prep, prep, and more prep” apply.  I think that this stuff goes on very very thin, – like water, as I recall.  And if you follow the directions carefully, has super leveling characteristics.  I will be interested to see how it turns out.  Good luck.  (Spray when there are no flies or mosquitoes.)  It’s be good if you had someone who had used this stuff recently since it was undergoing leap and bound improvements almost weekly about 12 years ago.  I seem to remember a DIY show on “Ship Shape” a few years ago that may be available on line.  Good luck.  

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Sunshine and blue skies…Had to do it…

Took it down the road to my son’s garage then came back and started sanding everything. If the planets are in proper alignment it may see paint tomorrow.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Anonymous
    Inactive

there is info on painting with a roller at moparts.org and $50 paint job. Both say to thin the paint to water like/ milk. Also use a small profsssional roller.when weather clears i also am going to give it a try.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Someone on this board did it a while back. As I recall it came out awesome.

Bill, that pic of you rolling with no doors or fenders is a calendar shot. Looks like you’re on a mutant lawn tractor, which is totally cool.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

First coat is on. Like any paint job, the first coat looks like crap. The redeeming factor is that it shines.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Way to go, Bill!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.