Gone and Done It

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Gone and Done It

Viewing 16 posts - 201 through 216 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

WOW! That does look purposeful.

Rule is the top of the helmet plus X inches, right? 3-4-5 inches? Whatever “X” is this should pass inspection. Which means you’re now a hillclimber!
    Congrats, dude!
    Three questions: 1. how long does it take you to take it off?
    2. How compact does it stow?
    3. What’s it weigh?
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Insane!!!

And I like her little brother in the backgroudn of the first picture.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Paul, you just ain’t right.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Bill, I never said I was! Wacko

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Okay, it works as designed. 24 bolts(6 mounts, 4 bolts each) and it lifts off. My son showed up with a couple friends so we took it off. Very tight to the body, but nothing was damaged in the process. Currently finishing it in the dark brown fender color.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Basically that is absolute madness.

I will never catch up.

edsnova2015-04-27 22:39:10

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Tuesday and Wednesday were both beautiful days and I used the beast for work. Motoring all day Tuesday resulted in forcing me to get my hair cut. Wednesday resulted in me coming home on a wrecker.

I thought the fuel pump went out yet again, but it turns out that when there is no fuel the pump is much quieter and could not be heard over the traffic noise. In the quiet confines of my garage the pump was heard to be running, so i emptied my gas can into the tank, the pump volume came up. Turning the key it fired up. It’s always the little things that drive you crazy. This is a result of a change of gauges. I replaced them all early this year to commemorate its turning 100K. Fresh odometer starting at 0. This was a long frustrating ordeal of which I posted none of, but will be willing to tell all at Carlisle to anyone willing to listen.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Man, it’s always gotta be something, don’t it?

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Could have been the hair cut.  LOL

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Had a couple pulleys laying around so I lifted the cage up as far as I could inside the garage and found I was just able to drive under it and lower it down on it’s pads. I think I’ll invest in a genuine block and tackle and make the job a bit easier in the future.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Bill. Does the roll bar protect the fuel tank in the case of a rollover? Looks like it would.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well, yet another shake down, er, break down run.  A little 2″ cable that pulls on the clutch fork broke. Better now than on the Hillclimb. The tow truck driver now knows my family and dogs by name. He becoming like family.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well, with being stuck and undriveable, its back to doing bodywork. You saw the cardboard rear box at Carlisle. Its time to fix that.

Aluminum foil covering the original rear box, then one layer of fiberglass cloth.

Second layer of glass cloth.

Semi-sturdy shell.

Cut down for initial fit.

Now to make a mold of the original cover from the bottom and mate the two. The original hat that mounts the spare tire should bolt right up when finished.

billnparts2015-06-14 10:00:51

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Had a Hillclimb official stop and give the car a pre tech inspection tech inspection. I didn’t want to be turned away at the event for forgetting something. The car had some minor items to correct.(place covers on the battery cable ends, grind the upper corner of the kill switch plate into a radius and get a fire extinguisher with one with a metal tip.) The biggest issue was having to place an additional tube to the cage behind my head to mount a padded restraint. the cage builder will do it in one day next Monday. Hopefully the clutch will be repaired by then.
    Today I picked up the new rubber.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

That’s some nice looking rubber you got Bill. Are they just for hill climb use?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Ok, the bar is in and painted and padded.

The cast of the rear cover is complete. It really could use several more layers, but its a cover and is not structural.

I had a friend at work who is artistically creative create a cover for the hole the spare tire mount would normally be. I instructed him to provide something to say it was still under construction. This is what he came up with.

Well, I would normally post photos but the site wont let me. I’ll try again later.

Friday evening is official tech inspection.
    Saturday morning we run.
    Please pray the rain goes away.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 16 posts - 201 through 216 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.