Ground Points

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Ground Points

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

On a VW Chassis (pan) there is USUALLY a stud on the left rear frame fork that attaches the transaxle ground to the chassis ground. I have a 71 standard beetle chassis and there is a ground stud in the rear frame head just above the hole for the starter wire from the battery. I have welded a bolt to the front frame head plate for the front end grounds, welded a bolt to the top center of the tunnel right next to the front firewall and one on the rear for the engine compartment and rear grounds. All that having been said, do I need to have a ground wire from the transaxle to the frame?

On another note, I went to Wally World to get a battery. Used there battery finder book and computer and they don’t even list a VW Beetle. Last listing is a 74 Rabbi (oops! Rabbit).  Guess I’ll have to run up to O’Reillys. Its been a busy day! Wow~! Its already beer thirty.

newkitman2015-04-26 17:31:39

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Yes, IMO you need a ground strap from the tranny to the frame, just to be safe. The transmission mounts are rubber/neopreme, and even the shifter has rubber in the pivot/coupler. The engine might find a ground somewhere, but better safe than sorry, given the amperage being sent to the starter…KentT2015-04-26 18:26:42

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

I put ground straps everywhere. Can you have too many when there is rust at work under every car ?

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

Yes you need the ground strap, otherwise the current will have to find its way through things like throttle cables and various things not made to carry power.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.