Help Identifing Parts

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Help Identifing Parts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    william Bennett
    Participant

@beal

Hi to All:  I am a new member and recently purchased a CMC TD unassembled kit.  I have the manual, but find no reference to these 2 parts?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Bill

william Bennett
    Participant

@beal

OK so I don’t have this picture thing completely figured out yet.  The 2 square plates are approx 4″ x 4″.  and the angle is about 15″ long.  everything is around 3/16 thick.   thanks Bill

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Bill. I don’t have a CMC Chevy/Ford kit I have a CMC/Fiberfab VW kit I’ve been building and the lower bar appears similar to the bar in my kit. Mine goes underneath the front fenders where they come together. It is extra support for the front of the fenders and keeps them aligned with each other. It also is used to mount the fog lights. As for the two square pieces, my kit doesn’t have them. Hope this helps some.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

william Bennett
    Participant

@beal

Thanks Allen,  I will mark it as such.  None of the fiberglass is mounted yet, but it seems right.  Good luck with your build.  Bill

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Bill. Is your kit a VW based kit? I just enlarged the photo you posted. I believe those two square 4 x 4 plates are for mounting the seat back. They connect to the wood piece for the seat back and then the top part of the hinge fits into the slots in the square adapters. Check the VW Assembly manual, page 44 for the 15-inch angle piece and page 63 for the two 4 inch square pieces. I say the VW Assembly manual because both pieces are shown there. In the CMC Ford/Chevy manual, only the two square pieces are shown.

Allen Caron

william Bennett
    Participant

@beal

Allen:  Thanks for the information.  My kit is pinto based and I only viewed that manual.  A quick glance and the VW manual has more information than the ford manual I received with the car. I will be reading the VW manual tonight.  Thank Again  Bill

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Yes, the two square plates mount to the bottom of the seat back. The hinges slide into that tapered space allowing you to lift the seat back out.

Can’t see enough of the other piece to identify it.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Beal. Billnparts has a ford based kit and knows that configuration pretty well. Mine is a VW based kit so I’m not all that certain about the other non-VW kits. I’d follow the pinto based assembly manual and if that bracket is left over, then use it as in the VW  manual if you want.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by newkitman.

Allen Caron

william Bennett
    Participant

@beal

Thanks Bill  I am quite a ways off from mounting my seats but the information helps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.