Horn

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  court-wizard 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Okay GM front engined folks, here’s my next question.

My BCW has that darn ugly blocky stock Chevette/GM steering column with a nicer wooden wheel. Horn system appears to be all GM with the spring behind the little plastic key and then the wire running out to the metal/fibre biscuit behind the horn button.
    Horn has only worked intermittantly since I got the car in January.  Figured it was the contacts on the steering wheel – pulled the wheel off, cleaned everything up, rewired everything and still having issues.  The latest is that the horn now actually will blow if I depress the center button and push hard on the steering wheel?!?! (that often happens when I get out of the car).
    Anyone else have an issue like this?
    I’ve seen the Chevette/GM Horn set-up with both a “spring” going into the keyed column hole and also a “pin and spring set-up”.  Mine only has the brass spring, but I wouldn’t be suprised if it is missing the pin or something else.  Another variation I have seen (various Youtube finds) is the end of wire contact at the bottom of the the sring that goes into the keyed hole. 
    Any help is geatly appreciated.
    Tom    

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Here’s my Horn fix…. basically pulled it off the column, got an MGA dash mounted horn and rewired – now works great!  

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

This is exactly what I did for my horn on my Duchess. I found that having a horn button on the dash, helped to avoid the horn wire from wrapping around the steering column, as the Steering Wheel was turned, or chaffing in the column and causing a short

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

court-wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

same for me…mounted the horn button on dash. I used a starter button cus I had one.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar