I Got It.

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas I Got It.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Jeff
    Participant

@jeffthornton

Picked up my TD this morning!

Now I need to learn the gel coat secret. Total fade from sun. The good news is that there is a West Marine down the street if I only knew what to get?

And I did end up with the Duchess.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Awesome!

Congratulations!

Meguiars has a line of polishes and waxes for gel coat. I’m sure West Marine will have it.

The good news is that gel coat finish is much thicker than a paint job. And it should buff out fine!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Just wondering is the car a London Roadster . If it is I have the exact same one.    As far as the jellcoat none of the waxes or rubbing compounds will work . I’ve tried them all and my car is not that bad . There is a product called shine on that looks interesting. Go to yahoo and search shine on . There is a video. I wish some one would try and report. I   plan on it being a x-mass present. Lots of luck .UPDATES

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Very nice. Congratulations and good luck.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Jeff
    Participant

@jeffthornton

Ok, how do I seperate the top from the top edge of the windscreen to be able to fold down the top? Looks like some sort of wedge/bar.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Many models of the TDr do have a piece of flat metal that is sewn into the leading edge of the canvas.  This piece along with the canvas surrounding is do “wedge” into the forward facing channel along the windscreen frame.  It simply pulls out – forward.  
    Welcome. 
    Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Got to unsnap the back of the top first to take the pressure off the front

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Jeff,

Dick is partially right. But there is a better way to do it.

Here is the right way to deal with a Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess roof (and probably others):

1. Loosen the straps inside the car (they connect to the two roof support  bars and pull them together to put tension on the roof).

2. Partially unsnap the roof from the body. I undo the snaps on the side and around the corners. Leave the snaps across the back of the car fastened for now.

3. At the front side corners of the roof, there are small tabs that fit into the windshield frame. Pull those out, but leave the main front bar in place for now.

4. Fold the sides up and over the roof, so that the width of the folded roof is a bit less then the inside measurement of the support bars.

5. Slide the bar out from the windshield frame and let the roof fall down behind the windshield frame.

6. Bring the two bars together

7. Finish unsnapping the roof and wrap the entire roof around the bars.

Now….go download the Classic Roadsters Ltd. assembly manual. When you get to the Download Manuals page, scroll all the way to the botom of the page.

PMOSSBERG2013-08-14 10:07:40

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Greg (and Jeff)…

Pretty sure that is a Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess.

Two things jump out to make me say that.

The side curtains.

The radiator (gas) cap winged lady. That is definitely Classic Roadsters Ltd.’s piece.

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Greg,

Sorry to hear you have had such trouble buffing out your gelcoat. I’ve never seen a gelcoat finish so bad that it could not be buffed out. And we have some success stories posted here in the forum (with pics). 

Perhaps in a different thread, want to summarize what you have tried?

Paul Mossberg

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Welcome aboard!

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Paul, Never used a electric buffer only hand rubbed I didn’t want it to heat up and hurt the finish.                            

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Ultraviolet breaks up the long polymers in all plastics. Then the shorter polymer chains start evaporating and flaking off. This is why gel coat, varnish, polyester, epoxy and even the clear plastic headlight covers on late model cars eventually all chalk. The only way to clear this up is to remove the outer layer of broken polymers. In really light cases, just a layer of wax will fix. In worse  cases, a good cutting compound followed by a swirl remover and a final coat of wax will do the trick. In really bad cases, the surface should be very carefully wet sanded with 1000, 2000, 2500 grit before compounding. Look up “color sanding”. Some gel coats are so bad that even this won’t restore. For these really basket cases, it”s still possible to clear coat the finish.

Jeff
    Participant

@jeffthornton

528 miles later and I’ve got it home. Yes, I said 485 miles since picking it up last Tuesday.

So, here is the story.

Picked it up Tuesday and paid $2,500. Got insurance from American Collectors for $298 agreed value $5,000. Mileage on vehicle 6,300 total. Looks like factory built (how would I know for sure?)

Went to local Auto parts store and the manager happen to be an aircool guy! Who gave me the name of another guy who is a VW junkie! But who also happened to have a tow bar laying in the weeds and a Oil change gasket kit for a total of $50. AND my wife fell in love with the red Laser he had in the back yard!

Stopped in at a body shop supply company who said don’t waste your time with Macguire’s and sold me a bottle of Presta gel coat compound ($18.97)and with a little elbow grease my wife had the car “presentable” enough to not want to hide it. Can’t wait to get a wheel in my hand, that car will look new. He said that he doesn’t even carry the Macquire’s gel compound any more and only sells this stuff. He went into great detail on why it works so good. I could explain it but I did end up going back the next day and getting a second bottle because I was so impressed.

Put short miles on hit the rest of my trip for testing, because the tow bar was for worst case situation. You see we already had a trailer on the back of the truck. But we had a plan in case of break down. (Never Happened)trip of 300 miles took me six and a half hours with top up but curtains off. I will down load the camera and post the shot looking down the hood at the Mackinaw Bridge.

Got it home know the work begins!

By the way, moto-meter is an eagle. Anyone have a good pic of what the Duchesses is supposed to look like?

Johnny L. Baxter
    Participant

@johnnyb

I’m glad there is another rookie at work. I,ve decided to post just about everytime I visit the site, which is just about every day. I have the rear suspension ii and now I start getting ready to pull engine and tranny, the front susp/steering. The donor is 50 miles away from my assembly point(my garage). I just started a welding class  to save calling a welder. Being retired is busy.

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

I’ve used Presta Compound after color sanding. Excellent results. Made to be used with a power buffer.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

JohnnyB I know what you mean about welding. After classes you just have to practice, practice, practice. And practice welding thick to thin metal (very useful when welding in floor pans). I used to live in Meridian. Stayed in an apartment on 52nd street next to Mercy Hospitall/

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Jeff,

Look at the picture on the first page of Part 1 of the Classic Roadsters assembly manual (bottom of the Download Manuals page).

I never put the radiator cap mascot on my car. And it’s packed away somewhere; not sure where.

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Here is a better picture. You are right. It’s an eagle. My earlier post was a mistake.

Paul Mossberg

Jeff
    Participant

@jeffthornton

Here is a shot just before we drove it home with my wife and I doing only a once over with Presta by hand.

And in case you missed the pre-buy photo in this thread.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Already looking better!

Seems like another TD has found her proper home!

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.