I'm Gonna do a V8.

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits I'm Gonna do a V8.

This topic contains 39 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  edsnova 16 hours, 44 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well I am able to work again. I went and bought an inversion table. It’s my new best friend. I can walk upright again.

Anyway, I put some stuff together to see what else I have to move. The steering shaft support had to be rethought. The original support bearing is way too bulky for this installation. (Jack, you need one?)

The long water pump eliminates any hope of using a standard fan. I’ll need a pusher electric. The radiator will need to be spaced forward about a 1/2″ also. The double jointed universals for the steering column are overly complex. Gonna try singles and see how they pan out. I also ordered a more compact shaft support.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edsnova
    Participant

@edsnova

Can’t tell from this angle, but would the fan you need fit behind the grill after you push the rad a half inch forward? And will the rad still fit inside the grill shell? I wonder if a shorter water pump might not be the easier solution….

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I believe I’ve got room for an electrical fan. I considered the short water pump, but it’s an expensive aftermarket piece. Then you have pulley issues. Another snowball.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Glad you’re up and around again. Having both shoulders replaced, I know what its like not being able to do this things you like the most.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edsnova
    Participant

@edsnova

BOTH SHOULDERS?

Not all the same day I hope? And also hope you can spring for the bionic “forklift strength” upgrade.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Already had the shoulders replaced last December. Now have the final release in two weeks. Then we’ll see about turning on my bionics. Steve Austin look out!  😆

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

A rethink on the steering column.

I still need to add an additional support for the lower portion of the shaft.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edsnova
    Participant

@edsnova

I think you’re in the neighborhood now.

Is the MC as tight on the valve cover as it looks here? My only concern would be maybe header heat and its effect on the brake fluid.

royal
    Participant

@royal

Doesn’t look like Bill could move the master cylinder enough to make much difference.  But, it looks pretty good to me where it is.

Really good looking job on the steering shaft.

edsnova
    Participant

@edsnova

I was thinking heat shield and/or air flow enhancement, not MC relocation. But probably best to see what happens before making new projects for Bill.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Ok. Time for an update.

I rethought the steering column. Running it above the headers, then down at the front of the engine sounded cool, but was unnecessarily complicated. It now runs similar to the original but makes a couple kinks to clear the headers.

I cut the large flanges off the radiator and mounted the radiator a half inch farther forward. This is my clearance.

I hung the other body panel and checked the fit of the front grill shell. Gonna have to trim the grill at the bottom to clear the radiator.

The steering column #2 U-joint was up against the side panel. Luckily its contact patch was below the line the fender bolts up to. Quick fix.

It’s almost ready for teardown for final cleanup and then the reassembly.

This is going to be one hell of a sleeper. Can’t wait.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

royal
    Participant

@royal

For the last two days, Jack and I have been having exactly the same interference problems with the radiator as well as the steering shaft clearance.  We think (hope) that we have figured out an elegant fix.  Just a bit more cutting and tweaking and drilling and then bolt it (fender, side panel, radiator and and front grill) all together…..and hope that the hood still fits.

edsnova
    Participant

@edsnova

Coming along nicely, Bill.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Hopefully the last disassembly. Body panels and engine removed.

Flywheel and clutch installed. Clutch slave cylinder mount fabricated and installed.

Original battery box removed to provide room for the Accusump.

A little fiberglass work, some minor welding and some paint and we can start on the final install.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edsnova
    Participant

@edsnova

Progress. Impressive!

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar