Insulation in passenger compartment?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Insulation in passenger compartment?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

A few weeks ago, I watched the video below on a restoration of a “barn find” VW. In the video he used self-adhesive duct insulation in the passenger compartment to reduce noise and give the bug a “softer” feel.

As I’m waiting on some brake and engine parts, I’ve been cleaning and fooling around with other parts of my TDr and thought I’d give the idea a try. So I bought a few rolls at the local home improvement store and worked my way though the “boot” this evening, picture below.

Anyone else soften the passenger compartment floors this way? Other than the obvious, making it harder to locate screw holes and the like, can anyone think of any downsides? I’m not expecting to get any real “insulating” value out of the project, just a softer internal feel on the floor.

Stephen

Buxton, Maine
    1982 London Roadster - "Kit Kat"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I put that in mine when it was gutted last year. No issues to speak of. The car is now noticeably quieter, but I made so many improvements during that time, I can’t say that was what really quieted it down.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Mike Schumacher
    Participant

@juneybug

Saw a Chris Vallone video of the same thing – he specified quick roof as no smell option. But my concern is how well will the carpet fit and stick over the fairly thick strips. I’m sure the sound insulation is worth the effort.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.