iPad?

Home Forums General Discussion iPad?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Does anyone on here have an iPad?  What do you do with it?  I just got one from my boss as a personal gift, but I don’t have a WiFi system at home, so it can’t complete its setup.

Is it just another toy?  I have ordered, but not yet received a new iPhone and I have a computer.  What will an iPad do for me?

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Mark, from what I can tell they just look to be another gimic.  A small laptop or a large iphone.  Some place in between.  The wife wants one to download books etc, but who has time to read.  If you are more computer savy than me, it might be handy.  Nice gift from your boss though. 

Mark Konrad
    Participant

@mark-k

Mark

Your ipad can do almost anything your computer can do, plus some.

Go the any office supply store and just get a wireless rotor and hook it up to your computer and you will be shocked at what the ipad can do.  Wish I had one but can’t afford it currently.  Several friends have them and they are great.  A rotor wil only cost around $25.00 to $50.00.

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

It a Router, Rotor is on the car

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Thanks guys.  I’ll try shopping for a wireless router this weekend, or what’s left of it.  It doesn’t charge with the connector cord plugged into the USB port.  I thought that would charge it up.  Until I get a router, though, it’s pretty useless.  Between my iPhone and my computer, I’m not yet sure what I’m going to do with this.

I was at the Arizona International Auto Show today and I saw one man  carrying around his iPad (or similar device).  He looked quite funny trying to take video or photographs with it, when everyone else around him had much smaller cell phones or even cameras.

If it needs a wireless router, then will it be of much use in the car?  I can get my email on my cell phone.  I have a laptop at work and a pc at home.  So I’m just not getting it yet.

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

For what it’s worth…

I have been an avid user of tablets for quite some time, at first I didn’t get it. But they are much more portable and very versitile. Over the last year I have run several businesses off them. Able to pick up wifi at almost every coffee shop or chinese restuarant I visit. Mine have always had data plans. That all being said I don’t think I would ever go back to just a Laptop or phone. remember you really have to trust the clod if you want to intergrate these for truley seamless use. Its a tough pill to swallow but you have to trust it.

Now for the true need for these. I don’t know how many of you document your cars and pictures but I as earlier explained in another thread started documented and storing all my Ally exploits on a Kindle Thier cheap and you can send your stuff right to them. You can add notes to pics and Diagrams. Its kind of neat. I had the race shop manager notice that I was doing this and he went out and bought a cheap android tablet and started documenting car builds. We included them with all the cars now (ok so its only been 6 since we started this and three legends) We include specifications for each part used and pictures of assembly

VALVE
    LIFT

DURATION

DURATION
    @ 0.050″

GRIND
    NUMBER

DESCRIPTION

HARD
    WELD

NEW
    CAM

.358/.358

270?/270?

234?/234?

Good all around power for street or off-road. Can be used with higher lift rockers.

00-031

00-032

.476/.476

272?/272?

238?/238?

Designed for tremendous torque for small displacement engines.

00-601

00-602

.422/.422

276?/276?

240?/240?

Broad power range for small displacement street, off-road or turbo engines.

00-041

00-042

.455/.455

280?/280?

242?/242?

Good overall performance for turbo engines. Street or sand. Good torque for baja bugs and Class 9 SCORE vehicles. Can be used with 1.25 rockers.

00-381

00-382

.402/.402

283?/283?

246?/246?

Good mid and upper end performance for small displacement street engines.

00-051

00-052

Here is a example from my kindle for cam replacement

I started one with my A speedster it was only 80 dollars and easier to access that a book or photo album.  and keeps my catalogs, invoises everything. I don’t wonder around aimlessly looking for where I put that catalog. (I still wonder aimlessly just not looking for my stuff.)

I love them and remeber I’m doing this stuf with those that are under 100.00 dollars. As a matter of fact I’m on one now. And you got the cadillac of them all. Figure it out man and ride in luxury. With that info you’ll be unstoppable.

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

But how do you keep greasy fingers and hands off of the tablet?  When I’ve had books with  while working on a car, it inevitably gets dirt and grease or oil on it.  How do you keep the electronics clean?

OK, I’ll bring my iPad to work to see if there is a router than I can connect to.  I hear the company goal is go all electronic for documentation and recordkeeping.  I can not take my paper planner into the cleanroom fab (semiconductor manufacturing), but something electronic might get approved.  Now, the iPad has a camera built in it, and that will prohibit it in the factory, so I’m back to the pen and cleanroon paper method.

I don’t carry around a backpack or briefcase.  How do you transport the tablet around all day?

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

Brookstook makes some nice covers and get a plastic thingy for the face. I use Zogg or Zag

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.