Jingle sound mystery

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Jingle sound mystery

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

I have a 1974 Ford 2.3L, 4 speed manual configuration, probably Pinto. I have a jingling sound that appears to be coming from the rear area of the car. This sound is very loud when I am coasting or let off the gas. It sounds like a muffler or tailpipe clamp that is loose. I have been all over and under the car and cannot find anything that is loose. I checked the rear end, the wheels and wire baskets, I pulled the brake drums off, all is tight. The sound is definitely coming from below and appears to be behind the passenger compartment. My neighbor shugged that there maybe something loose inside the hollow drive shaft, but I don’t think that is it. It does not make the noise when I accelerate. The rear end is full of lube and only has the usual small amount of play, and seems fine. I put the car on stands and ran it in gear, no noise at all, but put it on the road and there is it. Has anyone had this problem? One thought I had is the throw out bearing on the clutch.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Hi James,

The fact that it doesn’t make any noise when you accelerate makes me suspect drive train. In other words there could be “play” somewhere that tightens up under torque conditions. Have you thoroughly checked out the drive shaft univeral joints? They can be very noisy when worn but quiet as a mouse under torque. Just a guess.

Good luck!

Rich

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Rich,

Good point. I did grab the driveshaft and twist back and forth, but never put my eye on the U-joints. In the twisting back and forth everything felt firm and tight. Tomorrow it will be sunny and warm, springtime day, so I’ll put her on the stands and check them out. Thanks for the tip. I do believe you’re correct about the drivetrain, if it was anything loose, like a muffler clamp, it would jingle all the time or when I hit a bump.

James

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

James, Did you try it in reverse ? If I am thinking right, that would have the same effect on the u joints as deaccelleration . If you check it on the stands, you might try apply the brakes lightly . If the u joints have grease fittings, you could also try lubing them as well. I may be way out of the park on this ,but it would be easy to try before you go deeper in to it. U-joints can make some strange noises.   Hope this helps.   Smile

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

James,

Larry has a good point. If it is U-Joints, shifting between first/reverse should give a definite “clunk”. Jiggling by hand would typically not apply enough torque to be a valid test. Could be something else as well, but these things are all about testing and process of elimination.

Rich

RichBelfay39900.7197106481

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Thanks for all the tips.

I had started with the process of elimination at the beginning of the investigation…..I have ruled out the tail light lens .

I’ll try the reverse and see how that goes. Thanks again,

I had a U-Joint fail on my Scout on the interstate at 75 MPH. Fortunately it was the one at the rear end and not at the transmission. The driveshaft went wild, and ripped off both mufflers and tailpipes. Throwing debris all over the interstate. I slid under removed the remainer of the driveshaft, cleaned up the roadway, engaged the front axle of the 4×4 and drove to the next exit. It wasn’t a pretty sight. When the thing failed it felt like an earthquake inside the vehicle for about 10 seconds before the explosion of steel pieces. I was fortunate. U-Joints can really take a toll if they fail.

I’ll definitely check them out on the MG TD.

James

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

James;

Did some looking for info and found this site that might help you diagnose the noise.

http://www.differentials.com/diagnose.html

Good Luck,

Ringo

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Thanks Ringo. I did check the site and my sound didn’t fit in. The sound my car makes is exactly like you take a few pennies in your hand and shake them. I do like the site that you sent the link to, it is a keeper. I had checked the lube for texture, such as metal bits and particles (including sawdust), but it appeared to be just fine. I held off doing the taste test. I assume the differential is from the 1974 donor car for my replica, and it probably has a billion miles on it. I did print off the stuff from the link and will listen very closely to the differential. I also have added the print out to my scrap book of car stuff. Thanks for info and help.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

How much play is in the ring gear? Did you pull the axles in/out & up and down?

If the axles or diff carrier had a bad bearing, it usually makes a clicking sound, universals usually make a clunking sound.

The “jingling” sound you describe only happens when coasting or decelleration (in gear)?

Wish we were there to listen! 

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Yes, the jingling is only heard when I let off the gas pedal. As soon as give it gas, the jingle stops. My neighbor and I did push and pull on the axles while on the stands, and they never moved in and out. When hand turning the wheel (tire) there is play before the other wheel goes the opposite direction. I would estimate about 5 degree turn before the gear teeth hit and the opposite wheel spins in the other direction. I can hear the gear teeth as I turn the wheel which made me think the lube was low, but checked out fine as far as the level. I will probably have our mechanic check further. The jingle is just like keys jingling or a few pennies in your hand shaking them. It makes no difference hitting a bump or smooth road, the sound remains constant when decelerating or coasting.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hey James,

I’m no expert, but is the sound really constant, i.e. no change in volume, pitch or frequency?  If it is, it would seem to me that it is not related to anything rotational in the drive train.

Deceleration or coasting (which is also decelerating, unless you are coasting downhill) would mean that the drive shaft, rear end, axles, wheels, everything is slowing down. And a downhill coast is probably speeding things up. Either way, you should hear a change in the pitch or frequency of your jingling.

I’m not sure where I would look next, but a “constant sound” during a change in speed doesn’t sound like drivetrain to me.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Paul,

It is interesting that I just received an email from a fellow that had the same jingle problem that I have described. He finally narrowed his down to a loose shock absorber. His noise was the washer on the top. When he would let off the gas the shock would move just enough to allow the washer to dance around on the shaft. When he gave it the gas, the shock would bind enough that the washer didn’t dance. When his car was on the stands, the shock was in tension and appeared nice and tight. His washer on the top is a half dollar size. Tonight when I get home I’ll see what I can see. I never looked at the shocks or thought about them for the noise. My jingle is constant no matter what speed I am going when I let off the gas, the pitch and frequency seem the same. I have thought of putting on Koni adjustable shocks. I have those on my other sportscar and love them.

I’ll post my findings, thanks to everyone

Bill Hursh
    Participant

@bill-hursh

Hi Guy’s

I may be off base, could this be a loose baffel in the muffler of converter? I have had rattly mufflers before.

Bill

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

MYSTERY SOLVED

Thank you everyone. I have found the jingle. It was the shock absorber. With the car at rest, the top nut and washer on the shock felt firm. Put someone in the car and then you have close to a quarter inch of space between the rubber bushing, that has turned into a rock, and the large washer. When there is a load on the rear wheels, the shock twists just enough to bind the washer and hold it still, but take the load off and I can see where the shock relaxes and the washer dances on the shaft of the shock. The rusted threads of the shock were nice and shiny where the washer was bouncing around. I was able to finger tighten the nut to remove the play and now no more jingling sound. This weekend I will replace both rubber bushings and adjust the nuts properly. The rubber bushing had not only turned into a rock, but had shrunk. I am amazed how much noise that little washer made, but it really did. Thanks to everyone in helping me figure this out and save some of my sanity. All your posts have made me more aware of areas that I need to be more attentive to, and I really appreciate that. Bill, I was looking for heat shields or muffler stuff that could have been loose, but all was fine. Thanks again.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

James,

Man, Isn’t it great solving a problem like that? I always want to take my car for a long ride after a saga like this. Have fun!

Rich

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Rich,

It’s a great feeling. Usually the only time I find loose parts is when they fall off on the road . It’s strange how quiet the car is now. I’ll miss the old jingle….NOT. Check your shocks !

James

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Great news James. And we didn’t even have to hear it. And maybe I’m smarter than I think I am!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Congradulations on solving the problem and Kudo’s to all the helpers and their suggestions.

This is a great group

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

This is a great group for sure!  The best

James

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.