Johnny Law

Home Forums Johnny Law

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

So came home (from work, in Bridget) to this notice from the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration:
    Important information about Maryland registered historic vehicles

Dear Historic Vehicle Owner,

As the owner of a historic vehicle, we want to make you aware of legislation passed by the Maryland General Assembly that goes into effect on Saturday, October 1, 2016. It is important to know that this legislation will impact how historic vehicles may be operated.

Effective October 1, 2016, a Maryland registered historic vehicle may no longer be used for transportation to and from employment, school, or for commercial purposes.

In addition, historic vehicles with a model year of 1986 or newer may be subject to safety equipment repair orders issued at roadside by law enforcement.

Thank you for your compliance with this new Maryland law.

Toller
    Participant

@toller

Hope our Ministry of Transportation does not get wind of what their counterparts in Maryland are doing.

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed, I assume you have Historic plates?  This really should not effect you if you remember to always say that you were out for a joy ride vs going to/coming from work.   eh??  Sounds like someone at MMVA had nothing to do, so he built a job for himself.  I remain a fan of smaller government.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Well if you’re pulled over on your way to work just tell him you’re unemployed and are heading to a job interview.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I decided when I purchased my TDr last year (and Bugatti just now),not to go with the historic/antique plates and insurance because Illinois has VERY restrictive rules about those types of cars. I went with regular registration and insurance. Although more expensive, you’re not restricted by the antique car rules.

I was told by my Chief of Police friend that what you can do is keep a “maintenance log book” along with a few tools in the car. Whenever you drive the car, write it down under “repair/maintenance”. Then, if you’re pulled over, you can tell the officer you were just on a “checkout” drive, which is allowed.

A way through the loophole.

Amor Conquista Todo

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Never have been bothered in VA – only rear tag mounted as well (VA requires two).

Have the pay one time 59.00 for the life of the car and no inspections. Most Police just wave – it’s a hobby car.

Time to move to a less restrictive state – Most likely my next move will be Texas – Va is starting to creep toward Md.

Don’t need that…

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, guys. I suspect I’ll be in no trouble whatsoever if I continue as I have with the occasional nice-day drive to and from work. On the way in this a.m., the truck in front of me, mid 1990s GMC Step-sider with two pitbull bumper stickers (“a member of my family” and “Ban stupid people, not dogs”), sported a historic tag.

That’s the guy they’re aiming at. He was bald, white, mid-30s, Army vet (window sticker) and heading to work a construction gig, my guess, in his only vehicle. The historic plate saves him about 75-90 percent on title/registration and insurance, and that’s why it’s on there. There are tens of thousands of him in MD, and the state, I suspect, wants very much its pound o’ flesh.

Cops will not likely take notice of me & Bridget, but just in case they do, I intend to organize an office car show with colleagues, to be convened whenever any one of us gets pulled over.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

I moved from Maryland to Florida.  I knew it was a good move, now I know it was a great move.  The County does not even have annual inspections.  Florida does have a one time road use tax of $200 or $250, but it is waived for 30 year old cars.  It is sort of funny to have a “replica” that is now considered an antique.   Does that mean it starts increasing in value?

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

I have two antique plated cars in PA, Montse and a 1988 560SL.  The PA rules are that they can only be driven for a maximum of 5000 miles a year to and from car club events and on occasional drives.  I occasionally use both cars to drive to work.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.