LED LIGHTS

Home Forums General Discussion LED LIGHTS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I am considering adding two small LED lights [one on each side]to the rear of my BCW to serve as additional brake/turn signal lights. I  read in another thread that LED lights draw less current and must use a flasher designed for that purpose. Does that mean that LED lights cannot be used in the same circuit with regular bulbs? I know that if you add or remove lights it affects the speed at which the lights flash, but would the smaller draw of the LEDs have much if any effect?

The lights I am planning to use are small ,about 2”, but would serve to alert those drivers who might not notice the smaller MG lights . Any one had any experience with mixing LEDs and regular lights in the same circuit?

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Larry,

As long as the LED’s are wired into the same circuit as the incandescant bulbs, the amp draw is still there for a standard flasher to operate both sets of lights. In other words, you are just splicing them into to existing tail/stop/turn (1157) bulbs?

It’s when you use LED only that causes the need for the electronic flasher.

A special flasher may only be the electronic style that cost about $12 versus a $3 standard flasher.

http://www.rodworx.com were at the York PA NSRA Nationals I attended June 3rd this year. I bought LED parking/blinkers and “Chevron” taillights from them for my ’40 Ford. They sell “special” 2 prong and 3 prong flashers and 3 to 2 prong adapters for about $10. 

Pink MG40759.5038310185

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Thanks Mark, I thought that the LEDs would probably work ok when wired into the existing circuits but wanted to be sure befor I  bought the lights.

Thanks for the Rodworx link. the accessory light #39193 looks like it would serve my purpose.

Larry Murphy40759.5706018519

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

I changed my brake and turn signal lights to LED’s and the flasher worked the same as with the original bulbs 1156 and 1157. I saw now difference. I thought the LED’s would be brighter for the turn signals. I ended up spending almost a $100 on the LED turn signal bulbs and ended up putting the 1157’s back in because they were brighter. Live and learn.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Paul, you used the LED bulbs that just screw into the 1156 or 1157 sockets correct? They are indeed junk and not designed to shine through red or amber lenses like a clear 1157. They are also extremely “directional” and have a built in resistor that creates amp draw for the stock flashers.

Larry and I are talking about complete LED assemblies and they are indeed WAY brighter than incandescant bulbs.

Larry, I plan to use rodworx LED assemblies on my Volksrod build. I’ve seen these on street rods and they are BRIGHT.

Paul Allain
    Participant

@pga64

Yes. I did buy the screw in LED’s.  I should’ve checked with you guys first, and saved myself some money and trouble.  Like I said. Live and Learn.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Don’t feel bad…I did the same thing and bought 4 of those “1157” LED bulbs. Still have them in a cabinet drawer…in the dark

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Larry, are you adding two more lights to the rear end or replacing bulbs in the existing lenses?  I’d like to see a photo of the installation or maybe a sketch of your idea.  My brake lights are the small VW ones and I wish for a center light or something more.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

I’M adding additional lights. On the BCW, the spare tire is mounted on a rack made of approx 3/4 diameter round pipe much like the original MG.I plan to mount the LEDs near the top of the rack where it connects to the body of the car. The BCW uses the small MG rear lights with glass lenses.which are small and somewhat dim by today’s standards. I’ll post pictures when I get them installed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.