led turn signals

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits led turn signals

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael Neben
    Participant

@capnmike

Has anyone switched to led rear turn signal bulbs? What did you use? Did you need to add resistors?
    I’m trying to get brighter tail, brake and turn lights.
    I’ve found the 1157 tail lights on Amazon but don’t know the number for the turn signal bulbs.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

If you change front and rear, you will need to add a resistor in the line, or a flasher designed for the lower resistance of the LEDs.

Some guys on the Speedster forum have reported they were OK changing only the rears.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Here’s what I’ve purchased for mine that uses VW-type tail lights, but I haven’t installed them yet.  Rather than use individual bulb in different parts of the light, it uses a larger array of LEDs and the entire tail light lens.  You remove the metal divider of the OEM lens…

KentT2014-02-13 23:30:40

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I put them in when I refinished mine. I found that they were not as bright as the standard 1157’s. I switched them back out.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I did switch out the front lamps for LED’s and had to use an electronic flasher as opposed to the old mechanical unit. Plug and play.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Michael Neben
    Participant

@capnmike

Kent, would these work with “Lucky” taillights? Is the quoted price for a pair or for each? Do you have the dimensions of the retro unit?

Thanks, Mike Neben
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Mike, the price is for a pair.  I don’t know the size of the Lucky taillights.  In an earlier topic on here about LEDs, I posted the measurements in response to a question from Paul, but I can’t find that post with the Search function…  

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Michael Neben
    Participant

@capnmike

An update on the LED project for the Little Red Car. Ordered an LED array from Technosatalgia. Cut a piece of masonite to fit inside the base of the Lucky taillight and a piece of rubber sheet to fit behind the Lucky. Painted the masonite black and screwed the LED array onto the face of the masonite. Ran the wires to my system and … had brake and turn signals but no taillights. Called the tech dept and they said, “Oh, you need a controller circuit to make it a three way”. Ordered the controller circuit and got it installed in the system. Voila!!! Bright LED lights in an antique housing. Total cost _ about $100 all in. The brake light “surges” three times when the peddle is depressed and then brcomes a steady brake light. Another feature I like. 

So, I’m a happy camper again. Except that I broke the shift cable (it frayed at the peddle fitting) and I am now in my fifth hour trying to fit a new cable, including having to cut down a stock VW cable to fit. The P.O. didn’t cut large enough access holes in the tunnel so I had to start by cutting them larger to get my fingers inside. Now it’s re-install the pedal assembly and hook up the cable. Hope this is the last time I have to do this job. 
    Mike Neben
    Irvine, CA
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Do you have photos of this conversion?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Michael Neben
    Participant

@capnmike

I’ll take photos tomorrow.

Michael Neben
    Participant

@capnmike

Sorry it took so long to post the photos. I got sidetracked with the clutch cable replacement process.

As you can see, I had to build up the mounting area. At the bottom (closest to the fender) is a piece of 3/16 Masonite, painted black on both sides. On top of that is a piece of 1/4 inch foam with the LED unit attached on top of that with wood screws. What you can’t see is a piece of 1/8 inch rubber between the chrome housing and the black rubber base, to keep road water from coming in through the fender well. Overall , I am very pleased with the result. From the outside it looks exactly like the stock Lucky taillight, but it’s brighter and more reliable than the bulbs and has the added benefit that it “pulses” when you first apply the brakes, then settles into a steady brake light.

By the way, I don’t claim any honors for “clean” workmanship — it’s all hidden inside the lens.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looks good to me!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.