London Roadster – Donor VW Year

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits London Roadster – Donor VW Year

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

My London Roadster came with it’s own VIN number, concocted by the London Motors Corp. in Inkster MI. This has been quite a boon for registration over the years. The one place it fails me is in identifying the donor VW model year used in construction and thus in ensuring I’m getting proper parts and pieces.

The chassis number seems to have been ground off, obscured, or I’m just plain inept at finding it. Supposedly it’s on the tunnel, under the seat, just in front of the access panel. There’s no hint of anything ever being “stamped” there. I’ve checked many times as recent as last evening.

By process of elimination, I think what I’m looking at is a 1969 to 1971 donor. Here’s my logic, referencing http://www.vw-resource.com/years.html

– Cannot use the engine to ID as it’s likely not original to the frame
    – Dual joint rear axles (IRS) introduced on late ’69 models in US
    – Steering lock in ignition lock introduced in ’69
    – 4xDrum brakes
    – 4 Lug wheels introduced in ’68
    – Old clutch throwout (not definitive) introduced new one in ’71
    – Computer analysis wiring introduced in ’71 (not definitive, does not have)
    – New steering column introduced in ’72 (need to check this one further)

Your thoughts? Are there other indicators I can use to narrow the guess?

Those of you with London Roadsters and VW frames; is your VW frame number ground off or still there?

Stephen

Buxton, Maine
    1982 London Roadster - "Kit Kat"

Mike Schumacher
    Participant

@juneybug

if you’re convinced there’s been an engine swap, you might try sanding cleaning the area in front of the access panel you referenced. that is where you’d find it if it hasn’t been ground out. Mine is not a London but it wasn’t visible till I wiped it down.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The VIN is stamped into the chassis here:

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I was under the impression that my LR was a 1969 engine. When the rear wheel bearing was replaced I had to exchange it because it was the wrong one, The 1970 bearing was good. Who knows maybe a 1969 engine.1968 tranny, 1970 engine and the local hardware for other parts             

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

dunno-my flat 4 mechanic replaced my right rear wheel bearing  with no problems..I wonder whats  with the right wheel bearings going out ie 18k miles on the LR’s????

Stephen Houser
    Keymaster

@stephenhouser

Yes, have just been inept for 20 years. I looked in that spot time and again, but never took sandpaper to it. The paint had filled in the numbers, some sort of goey globby paint. I sanded it down a little and the numbers began to appear…

114 20xxxxx
    August 1973.

Happy to see my guessing was on the right track and not too far off. But happier to know what she really is!

Thank you all for your help, and encouragement to take out the sandpaper!

Buxton, Maine
    1982 London Roadster - "Kit Kat"

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Mine went out at 18,000 right rear wheel bearing. Anyone else?          Maybe there will be a recall

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.