Look at these prices!

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Look at these prices!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Hey all
    Check out the prices for the TD Kit cars up for sale on hemminngs.com. One is asking 27,000.00 and the other is asking over 12,000.00! Im going to have to start carrying a jar of GreyPupon mustard and wearing a tie.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Key word there … “asking” 😉

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Darn and I just bought the tie and mustard.

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

I guess a lot of the “orginal MGs” are becoming harder to find, or becomming to pricy to afford them. So many people are turning to MGTDr as a substitute. The old rule of supply and demand is helping the value of our well maintained cars appreciate. Then again the dealers always ask for more, as they seek major profits. Like Paul says ……… You can always ask. The true value of any car is what the buyer really pays.

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Yeah but what on an original TD is better than on a replica?  I have been thinking on this and my list of things that TD have or can do that TDr’s don’t or can’t is very small.

TDr’s can look so close to TDs that very close inspection is required to tell apart.

TDr’s (even stock VW powered ones) are faster and more nimble than stock TDs.  (Lets see if we can get a real TD to challenge one of us in the autocross at Carlisle this year.)  I’d call the ride quality of a TDr better.

TDr’s are less expensive to buy and a lot less expensive to maintain than TDs.

TDr’s are a lot dryer in a rain than real TDs.

TDr’s don’t have to worry about rust ruining their multi thousand dollar paint job. 

VW TDr’s have a lot more storage space than a TD.  Front engined TDr’s are about the same as TDs. 

But TDs have windshield wipers mounted atop the frame, folding windscreen, real vents on the engine panels which are exceptionally rare on a TDr. Don’t forget that a cabin heater was not standard equipment on a TD.  Any of these can be had on a TDr if you want them badly enough.  Some of us even have real wire wheels which although admittedly were popular on TDs, were a dealer installed option. 

And best of all: TDr’s are every bit as much fun, are “termite free” and can belong to tdreplica.com.

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

a lot less expensive to maintain”

Emphasis on “LESS expensive.”  It isn’t hard to spend a ton on getting a TDR mechanically like new and hopefully reliable.  I’ve spent over 5 figures now for electronic ignition, carb, muffler, transmission, shifter bushings, brake lines, disk brakes, lowering, narrowing, new tires, and now rewiring.  This makes no sense at all other than there is no point in fixing the body and interior if the mechanicals are unreliable.  And a lot of that is not technically “maintenance,” and some of it is my own fault, since I took a running car and early on thought I’d spend “a few dollars” on upgrades.  Hahaha, little did I know, and I’m in far too deep to back out now.  Of course, this is now one fine running VW.  It’s also probable that a real TD would be even more expensive to do the same things to.  Gag me.

One advantage you didn’t mention is “availability” of service.  This was key to me.  I live in a major metropolitan area and I don’t do mechanical work.  My VW needed a rebuilt transmission.  With a VW, no problem, there are lots of rebuilders.  Not so sure that would be the case with a real MG that needed a new transmission.  More importantly, there is nobody here in Vegas that I know of who works on real MGs.  However, there are several well-regarded VW mechanics.  The one I’ve been using has 36 years of experience, having taken over the business from his father, builds VW racing cars, and has actually built TDRs and dune buggies in the past.  Plus, he is willing to take on some unusual work (like lowering and narrowing the car, and rewiring my dash) that most mechanics would be afraid to touch.  It would be exceedingly difficult to find someone with similar MG experience to do the same for a real MG, even if there was an MG shop here.

johnsimion2015-02-27 18:02:29

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

John,

I’m interested in that “narrowing the car” comment.

Would you start another thread and explain what you did?

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I hope to be driving my kit for as long as im driving. Theres nothing like driving PCH on a sunny day in a car that so many people admire. Its a real kick in the pants!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’d love to drive the PCH in Bridget some day. First we gotta do Skyline drive…

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I agree! Our cars sure make those roads look good!

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

When I brought my London Roadster down from Seattle, I so much wanted to come down the PCH. However, I also wanted to see family and friends inland, and with almost daily breakdowns on that trip, I’m glad that help wasn’t too far away. I got lots of waves and honks as modern cars passed me by, it it was a joy to drive, even with the mishaps.

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

We’ve only driven it northward, from around Hearst Castle to just outside San Francisco. Even in a 2007 Ford Taurus it was a memorable trip. I don’t believe my wife could take the trip southward, not with all the sheer drop-offs into the ocean and some of those hairpin curves.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Ive been away for a bit but about the roads its like anything else nice and easy does it every time. The roads and bridges are fantastic!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I did the PCH southbound around 1991 or so. In a rental car. Was quite an interesting drive for the passenger seat occupant!

Paul Mossberg

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Remember Boys it only hurts until you stop breathing!

Anderson
    Participant

@new-hampshire

Here’s mine and its for sale on Craigslist.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4933573856.html

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.