Looking for a 52 MGTD

Home Forums Classifieds Looking for a 52 MGTD

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    garry m riggs
    Participant

@riggsredeye

New member with only basic knowledge of MG replicas. However have recently learned of the 1985 Schweppes MG using Chevette drive train. Would like to find a 52 MGTD as close to Michigan as possible as I would prefer to come and inspect the car myself. The car needs to be in very good condition.

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Garry,

Being that I have one I recommend them, but they are not all Yellow Schweppes Promotional items.  They are “officially” British Coach Works Model 52’s.  Mine (which is Black) even carried a sticker on each side with the word “Ascot” (one of the first things I pulled off of it).  In better weather I see a faded Silver BCW  in Newark on the way to work.

A guy from down South (Carolinas?) – Ricrx7 – had a BCW and a tin-TD with a Volvo engine and last time I heard he was thinking about selling the BCW.  I found mine on Craigslist, but I was just lucky.  They show up on Ebay too occasionally but sometimes under the MG category and other times under replicas.  You need to become familiar with the various permutations of all these TDR’s in order to fine the configuration that works for you.

If you have the time to read through the Manufacturer Comparison section of the Forum you’ll find more detail about them and perhaps even someone who will part with one.  There are Facebooks pages dedicated to BCW and MG TD Replica/Kit Owners.

Best of luck!

Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

There are online helpers that allow you to search many (or even all) Craigslists at once. I’d do a regional search for “MG TD” and one for “MG Kit.” There are plenty around and they’re usually cheap, but you can drop a lot of money in one if you get a little bit attached and start to give a shit. Ask me how I know.

garry m riggs
    Participant

@riggsredeye

Thank you so much for your help

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Look on Facebook Marketplace.  There’s a kit in Longmeadow MA (yeah I know it’s not MI) currently for sale $4500

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

And a British Coach Works on Facebook Marketplace in Essex MA for $9720

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

garry m riggs
    Participant

@riggsredeye

Thank you

Don Taylor
    Participant

@franklin29

I have a 52 MG replicar on a 72VW chassis for sale @ $9k OBO. The
    build was done with in VA in the mid 80’s with a Daytona Automotive kit.
    The car is in very good condition with much work done and many spare parts. It has a 1600 Dual Port engine,white body,very good top and fair side curtains. The car drives very well. For info & pictures
    dtaylorpe34@gmail.com

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

I have a 1986 BCW Type 52 which is a very good replica of the 1952 MGTD.  And I also have an original 1952 MGTD.  It is the original that is for sale.  I have put too much money and time into the BCW to sell it now.  The original is not all original as it has a Volvo engine and transmission which solves the MGTD drivability issues.  It can be bought for about the same as a good replica and it will probably increase in value.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

garry m riggs
    Participant

@riggsredeye

What should I expect to pay for a good reliable 52 MG TD replica?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Well, at 77, the time has come for me to thin the herd.  I know that you are looking for a BCW close to Michigan.

I have neither, but do have a very nice white Daytona MGTDr in Eastern NC (New Bern).  VW drive train.  It has been in numerous car shows and always draws looks.  I will be listing it on eBay within a week and it will be sold with numerous spare parts and manuals.  It has numerous upgrades including disc brakes, 1600cc engine, Holley carburetor, free flowing exhaust, FOLDING Windscreen (like a BCW), driving lights,  a full compliment of working gauges, a tonneau, a serviceable top, two sets of wheels and tires, and a tow bar.  NO RUST!  I have towed it with my 2008 Mercury Mariner (same as Ford Eclipse) Carlisle PA and back to New Bern 5 times and you can easily forget that it is back behind you.  I have had it for 8 years and it was rarely rained on, having spent it’s life either in my attached garage or under a cover.

I also have an extensive and  complete log of work that I have done since my purchase.  It came from the original owner in Florida.  Factory built.

As I said, it comes with a tow bar which is super easy to install (no tools) and you don’t even get dirty.  Flip it on your 1-7/8″ tow ball and be on your way.  It hasn’t been licensed since 2017 but is ready to go.

Give me a call at 252 671 0067 or email me at rfhendrix@suddenlink.net for more info or pictures.

Roy

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Can’t go wrong with Roy’s nice rig – seen it many times and is top notch.

Buy with confidence.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

No brag, but what’s true is true.  Thanks for the endorsement Schu.

I forgot to mention that it has real knock-off wire wheels and good tires even the spare is on a wire wheel.  Air horn.  Very nice wood steering wheel.  Badge bar.  Fog light and a driving light.  Pertronics distributor.  The Holley Bug Spray carb is a 2 bbl with a special intake manifold and a custom air intake.  New ignition wires.  Comes with a good car cover.  Also comes with a Brooklands Racing Screen….and a “Snoopy”-like leather flight helmet.

Roy

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Roy’s car is super clean and the real knock-off wires and fold-down screen make it special. Def worth a look.

garry m riggs
    Participant

@riggsredeye

What is the price of your car????

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I will be listing it on eBay (or maybe I’ll start it low and have a reserve) for $7,000.  Haven’t decided yet upon that.  However if a forum member wants it, try $7,000.

Should a forum member want it, I will put you up for the night or two here at mi casa.  You could probably stretch it into a couple of days and get to see historic New Bern.

About these cars in general:  I owned a "real" MGTD for 16 years and I must say that 
    the replicas are quicker, faster, quieter, more comfortable, much more trouble free, 
    drier in the rain, 
    AND 
    don't require a Terminix termite contract.  Plus parts are very available and inexpensive.
    PLUS, there are not many questions that Paul, Ed, Schu, Bill, Jack or I can not and will not 
    answer about TD's or TDr's.

garry m riggs
    Participant

@riggsredeye

I would like to see photos of it, since I have not seen any yet. The more the better. Please send them to riggsredeye@yahoo.com. And where are you located again? I am in Cadillac, MI FYI I know very little about these cars but understand very well the cost to restore/replace as I previous;y owned a 61 vette and a 64 Impala SS.

Garry Riggs

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Roy’s TDr is featured in many threads on this forum. You can pull up threads from Carlisle from the fast several years as well as those from the VA Beach threads. Several photos are readily available. We ran the PA Turnpike together to get to Carlisle one year. There are no problems as to how it runs. If you decide on purchasing Roy’s, you’ll be getting a good one.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

That sounds like a great deal.  Especially with the fold down windshield and wire wheels.  Reliability sounds good too.

Roy – I have a friend with a Fiberfab who really wants a folding windshield.  How did you get yours?  Modification of an original?  Thanks.  Ric

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Some of the Fiberfabs can be modified to allow folding and some not.  Many/most of the windshields on Fiberfabs (and other TDr’s) have the long side brackets which extend down past the bottom of the windshield and are thru bolted into the body.  I don’t know how to modify those.

I was fortunate to have the windshield mounted to a heavy cast aluminum upside down lazy T.  This bracket is  similar to the bracket on a “real” TD.  I sat and thought about it for a few years until I figured out how I too could have a folding windscreen just like Ed.   🙂

If that is what you or your friend have, let me know and I will try to get you some detailed photos.  I did post all of this stuff on this site a few years ago but am not sure if they can still be accessed.  There were thousands of very good “how to” photos on our website at one time.

Only 3+/- years ago, the site was VERY active.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

He has the long side brackets, but I am sure he would buy lazy T brackets to do a conversion.  Perhaps we should take this off line or start a new thread.  A close picture of your bracket conversion would be appreciated.  Thanks. ricrx7@aol.com

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

garry m riggs
    Participant

@riggsredeye

I am pleased to report I am buying a 1952 MGTD built in 1980 on a 1976 VW chasis and drive train. Will be picking it up Saturday here in Michigan from a fellow who has lost both his legs in an accident and is unable to drive it anymore after he had a top to bottom motor go over last fall. Color Hunter green with light tan interior. Will post some pics when I get her home with me

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Garry, good for you.  Congratulations.  Enjoy.  They are great cars and a lot of fun.  Now you get to make it yours.  The boys here, in this TDr website, will be able to answer any questions you may have.  I would urge you to get involved here and with any of the sports car clubs in your area.

garry m riggs
    Participant

@riggsredeye

Thank you Roy for your support and I sure will become more actively involved

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Congratulations! Let the fun begin!

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.