Looking for luggage rack and rear sway bar.

Home Forums Classifieds VW Parts Wanted Looking for luggage rack and rear sway bar.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

Sway bars:

Dale, what bar do you have on the front?
    I have been toying with the idea of replacing the front (mine’s just stock) but have decided to just replace the 45 year old rubber mounts with urethane.  MiGi rides pretty nicely but have never really pushed her hard on a slolom or autoX.  My gut tells me that with our light front ends, the stock 1/2″ bar should be adequate.  
    What say you guys?  
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Roy, Mine is the standard w/ new rubber mounts and I think w/ out light front ends it will be good – I do have coil overs in front as well – like I said I maybe just fine w/ what I have, but never pushed it on a track. I guess I just need to take it somewhere and try.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Re front bar vs rear upgrades. This techtalk article (which was written for guys with Beetles, but hey) says never just put the rear bar on without upgrading the front.

I still think our lighter front ends may moot this advice, but there it is. Whatever you do, find a nice open parking lot and test it.

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Shu – what kind of coil over shocks do you have on the front? And what kind of ride do you have?
    I’m still thinking of doing that rather than spending $3-400 more for an adjustable beam to raise up my fenders 1″ so my tires will clear on turns.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Don’t remember what type – maybe Empi? I think I ordered them from the JC Wittney Catalog. I took out all the small leaves in the front beam ( both top and bottom ) and lowered it to much so used the coil overs and am real happy w/ the ride. It is very smooth for me. I do wish I could lower it a bit. I have it adjusted all the way down now. I might try and cut one coil off of each to lower the front a bit, but hate to mess w/ what works so well. The nice thing about JCW is that you can try them and if you don’t like or it does not work just send back – they will give your money back – give them a try. They are adjustable as well.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Paul,
    Thanks for that link on the different type of racks – I think I may try the wood type – I have left over Mahogany from a project that will work if sealed well – no cost to me other then labor. I can then look at Carlisle at the swap and see if any deals are to be had on the traditional type.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.