may buy another, need some inf

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits may buy another, need some inf

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Which kit has the most correct body, and uses most td trim. lights, etc? I think it was British coachworks, but nolonger sure. Thanks Dennis P

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Dennis,

Read through this thread and you’ll be the most educated TDr fan on your block!

https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/manufacturer-comparison/

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Paul Mossberg.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Dennis,

My vote is with British Coach works (of course I own one).  I have had owners of “tin” TD’s remark how they like the way I was able to add a convenient fuel gauge to my dash and incorporate a more modern MG B steering column on my TD….LOL!

99% of the metalwork on it (at least on mine) is original or reproduction to 1952.

Car is about 2 inches longer than an original.  Wheels set properly within the fenders.  Mine has 14 inch wheels with round holes (not the 15 inch oval VW wheels).  “Tin” TD owners have remarked how I have evidently traded out the older style wheels for MGA or later wheels in order to run new style tires!

Frame is custom made for the car (not a re-purposed Chevette Frame).

Finding one is a bit of a challenge, but they are out there.

Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

“Which kit has the most correct body, and uses most td trim. lights, etc?”

It doesn’t matter.  All the kits look pretty much like the real thing.  Just get hold of the Moss Motors and MG Magic web sites and there are plenty of original parts you can either bolt on directly or adapt to fit.  With enough money to burn, you can make any TDR look enough like a “real TD” to fool anybody but a “real TD” owner.  You will need plenty of money to burn, because for value purposes, you’re going to lose it all.  Beautiful as it may be, a kit car will always be a kit car.  It’s not an investment and it and will never have monetary appreciation or respect from “real” TD owners no matter how much it looks like the real deal.

There are good reasons to get a TDR.  Maybe you enjoy working on it yourself.  Maybe you like the styling and you don’t care about authenticity.  Maybe you’re getting it dirt cheap and plan to leave it as-is and just drive for fun.  Maybe you just believe a VW or Chevette engine is more reliable, powerful, easy to mod, and easy to find mechanics for than a real 1952 MG engine.  Maybe you need a project to fill your days and you prefer a cloud of fiberglass dust in your garage versus a cloud of rust particles.  Or in my case, maybe you’re 6′-4″ and can’t fit in the real one but you can mod the TDR to fit.

If authenticity, perfection, and investment are more important to you than other factors like I mentioned, then just buy a real TD and skip the kit.  There are over 80 (!) MG TDs listed on Hemmings Motor News right now, ranging from $4500 up to $45,000.  By the time you restore a TDR to equal condition, you’ll likely spend less just buying a real TD.  I also daresay that restoring a real TD with (relatively) standardized metal parts cannot possibly be more difficult than fixing a kit car where every piece is different on every kit and the dreaded original builder cobbled the thing together and hid his screwups for you to discover several thousand dollars later.

My own TDR is beautiful now.  It draws attention, it accelerates, handles, and brakes better than a real TD.  Most importantly, I fit in it.  It has also been a tremendous PITA and a money pit; had I known the extent of these two factors I absolutely would never have bought it in the first place.  I was naive and thought it was a Volkswagen Beetle, how hard could it be to fix?  Hahahahahahahaha …

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I agree with you, John. I am sort of confused why someone would get a tribute car, which is not, nor ever will be a “real thing”. If what you want is authenticity, you should get the original and be willing (and able) to do whatever is necessary to get it where you want it to be.

A tribute car, no matter what kind; Bugatti, Porsche, Laborghini, Ferarri, or MG TD is ever going to win the concours d’elegance at Pebble Beach. But who wants to drop that kind of cash only to have a trailer queen?

I get plenty of waves, smiles and comments about my London Roadster and  Tiffany Bugatti to keep my ego stoked. And I don’t have to worry about if the wiper blades and hose clamps are correct to the car. I’ve even won some awards at local car shows.

Just my 2p (that’s pence) worth…

Amor Conquista Todo

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks to all. Tom, I like the look of the BCW also. To others, I have a Replica for affordability and lower costs in parts and maitainance. My FF Migi is great and has been easy to fix, better fit,ride, performance, etc. My friends with MG TDs have spent more on parts than I have on whole car, in 10 years. I repair and tune their cars and I say the kits are what I prefer. I simply want one that looks even nicer than my FF. I do not want a MG TD. Have driven them and my feet hit 2 pedals at a time and my VW migi will out perform them, in more comfort, parts are cheap too. Dennis P

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

We need a like button.  🙂

What Dennis P (bgtrn) just wrote is perfect!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.