MGTD Volvo powered

Home Forums General Discussion MGTD Volvo powered

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

I have just been offered an original no rust 1952 MGTD with a P1800 Volvo engine and transmission.  It looks to be in great shape and the original engine comes with it.  The price is low for an original MGTD.  So do I sell my MGTDR BCW Chevette and buy an original?  What would you do?

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

It would likely be a better potential investment, since a TDr at best holds its value. It doesn’t and likely never will appreciate in value, while a real TD does. My concern with it is the suspension and brakes, assuming the wood is solid. Your TDr likely handles, rides and stops much better.

Not sure how much you drive your TDr, but that may be the deciding factor.KentT2016-01-18 21:11:54

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

Prices for original TDs appear to be all over the map, according to what I see on Hemmings. The Volvo engine may make it a better car but undoubtedly decreases its value significantly. So much depends on the condition of the car, but there are a bunch on Hemmings right now listed as “Excellent” that are between $15K and $30K, and those have original engines, too.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The P-1800 engine was a popular period swap, and doubled the horsepower. Often it came with an overdrive transmission too. Ask about it.

Original TDs have not kept up with inflation. A very nice example can be had for about $18,000. (And by “very nice” I mean “a fresh, 99-point restoration that cost the owner $28,000 and about six years of vacations and weekends.”) A good driver quality TD is $12,000. 
    The Volvo-powered ones are worth less, for some reason. $12,000-$14,000, for a really nice one, maybe $8,000-$10,000 for a driver. One with the Volvo and the original drivetrain might be worth a little more, depending on how good the XPAG engine and trans are.
    As with any rodded car, you’re buying someone else’s headache. That, at least, puts the “real” TDs and our kits on the same footing.
    The originals have less interior space. The wood body frame members are prone to rotting out, which leaves you with door fitment problems. They have lousy brakes. They handle like a skateboard with an anvil on it. They have all the old car hassles, including weird and persistent leaks and smells, electrical gremlins, hard-to-source and sometimes expensive parts.
    The P-1800 has more power than the Chevette. Looks way cooler, too under that louvered, quad-fold bonnet. Dual carbs! You like dual SU side draft carbs? Buy that sucker!
    The P-1800 car will also get grudging respect from the TD purists. They all wish like hell they could have 100 horsepower. They will ask many probing questions. You better learn the answers.
    On the other hand….the Chevette BCW will never rust and there’s no wood to rot. Chevette engine parts are available enough for now at least, and you can always swap in a Miata or Honda S2000 engine if you get an itch–something you’d maybe not want to do with the original TD. The BCW is bigger inside, rides better, probably gets better mileage. It handles better. 
    Other than those differences, they’re the same car, and will give you the same fun and delight the same people the same amount.

edsnova2016-01-18 21:59:43

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Love the responses.  The car has been further modified with MGA rear end and front disc brakes, including wire wheels.  It was restored at some point in the past.  All original parts are included.  Would MGA suspension make the car handle more like the Chevette powered car? 

I do like fiberglass.  Yes, the Volvo powered cars, even when original parts are included do not seem to cost all that much.  This is a tough decision.  Oh, can I bring it to Carlisle?

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

One big thing to consider if you purchase the orginal TD, is that you might have to purchase some of the orginal style ” wrenches, and sockets”. Many people do not realize, but orginal British tools are not a true metric size. The English mechanics had their own sizes. Just my two cents, if it were me………. I would stay with your Fiberglass car, as several of the wood prices of the originals are enclosed in sheet metal and hard inspect, let alone very costly to replace. The tires are also expensive to replace, as would be interior and top/side curtain upholstery, carpet etc. If the Wire Wheels are the originals, that is a plus, BUT Wire Wheels are hard to keep “true” as the spokes become loose, and they can not be adjusted because they are rusted in place.

Good luck with your decision, I wish you the very best………. Be safe and have fun

Davedavearoy2016-01-19 00:04:28

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

What’s he asking for the Volvo car? It sounds really nice. The MGA rear gives it longer legs for highway cruising. It’s a good match for the Volvo engine and the bolt circle is right for wire wheel adapters. The disc brakes are a very good addition as well. Makes it stop, and parts are easy enough. 

To make it ride smoother, more like a Chevette, is maybe beyond the means of a shade tree guy. I’d definitely try to drive that one and compare. Who knows? You might like the ride better!
    Whitworth tools–yeah. The early LBCs came with British-sized nuts and bolts in many places–especially the body. They also reportedly had metric and USA-spec inch stuff here and there. It takes a while to determine what’s what.  
    ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Well, I know you all like pictures, so I’ll try to include in this post.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Wow Ric,

That looks like a really nice car. Tough call! But there’s no right or wrong answer here!
    The Carlisle show is for imports and kit cars/replicars. An original TD is more than welcome!
    The showfield is segmented by manufacturer. And some clubs get their own space on the field.
    The Speedster Owners Club that the TDr guys hang with have their own space.

PMOSSBERG2016-01-19 10:36:01

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.