MGTD/MGTDR Comments?

Home Forums General Discussion MGTD/MGTDR Comments?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Thought I might generate some discussion concerning my dilemma.  I purchased a BCW Chevette, with the idea of upgrading the power.  Car is in nice shape and everything works.  But recently I also got an original 1952 MGTD with Volvo power.  Here are the cars:

I really only need one project car.  So which to keep?

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

You have an original with beautiful and expensive wire wheels. The original will also hold its value better. No offense to the replica, but the original is a pretty easy choice.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Too bad you can’t keep both. I’m sure we ALL wish we had the same dilemma!
    I agree, the wire wheels and two tone paint scheme make the original a real head turner.
    It sounds like the BCW is in super shape, and you’d not have any trouble finding a buyer.
    If you sold it, you can use the $$$ for the original.

Amor Conquista Todo

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Could you keep both for a year while deciding? I’d make the decision based on which one I enjoyed driving more. Getting them both road-worthy would seem the 1st step to a sale anyway, so nothing lost there but time and maybe a scraped knuckle. The BCW is probably a bit roomier. The original is cooler. Both will hold maintenance challenges.

If the body wood on the TD is rotten you have a real project on your hands. Otherwise the cars are comparable. Neither is likely to appreciate much as a financial investment; the replica will likely be cheaper to keep.

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Greetings again Rick! In my humble opinion I would keep the TDr. Why, well depending on the condition of the orginal TD wooden “structural Integerity” and “mechanical reliably” I would opt for keeping the TDr. My thoughts are, yes it is an orginal, but parts for originals can be very expensive to obtain, and you have to pay for shipping costs to get them, and the reliability of the orginal TD is not what your TDr potentially is. If you take the orginal TD on a rather long drive, you may break down, and end up with a very costly tow home charge. The orginal TD requires special English Guage Tools, to do any extensive repairs as well, and are hard to find and expensive as well. Yes the orginal TD will appreciate in value, but it depends on how long you want to hold on to it. I know this thread will generate lots of comments, and my thoughts are just my two cents.

Good Luck with your decision…………

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Royal
    Participant

@royal

My 2 cents: Why do you own either?

Do you consider either an investment? Is the cost of spares a consideration?

…or did you buy to enjoy the open air motoring experience?

….or perhaps you like to tweak and tinker with old cars? 

….or maybe all your friends own real T-types? 

There is little doubt that the BMW is a better (in every regard) and more reliable automobile.  Grab a beer, sit down and  have a good serious talk with yourself and the correct answer will come to you. 

Others opinions will only confuse. 

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Good rational advice Royal, it sounds like you speak from well learned experiences. I also think prayer helps as well.

Davedavearoy2016-05-15 12:32:31

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

a 60 degree 3.4 v-6 could replace the 4cylinder if the hood is wide enough have 1 in my garage I could measure also I’m selling it could give a tdr forum discount if you want it

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Enjoying the comments.  I got the TDR because I wanted a fendered car and a TD was my first car.  That TD had a Ford V8-60.  So I bought the TDR to hot rod.  I do have a Buick aluminum V8 that might go in the TDR, but it’s condition is unknown.  My other hobby is old fiberglass boats., specifically Glasspar.  At a boat show, I had decided to sell one of my old boats and was offered a trade for the MGTD.  Deal seems to be in my favor, so I did it.  The original has been in storage for over 30 years and was hot rodded in the late 60’s by adding a Volvo B18B with Volvo 4 speed.  The brakes and wheels are MGA.  Hood was louvered on top.  Wood is in good condition, but electrics and gauges need work.  I know that the original is the best for the future, but the fiberglass doors and hood fit so much better on the replica.

As was suggested, drive both for a while , then decide.  So far I have not driven the original since the brakes need a complete overhaul.  I have been told that the Volvo really helps the drivability of the TD.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Just a note on some measurements between the two cars.  This may be old info for some, but here it is anyway.  The BCW hood is 3 inches longer than the original.  This seems to be accounted for by the rear fenders being moved closer to the doors by 2 inches.  This moves the front fenders forward by about 2 inches.  The other inch is found in the headlights being mounted about 1 inch forward.  This all results in the front splash pan being 1 inch out from where the original mounts.  For my car the cockpit width is the same for both cars – 45 1/4 inches.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Thanks for the dimension comparison – that’s what I was looking for.  I knew the TD hood was shorter by at least two inches from the TDr because I have an original as a comparison. 

I’ll have to check my BCW rear fenders against original photos.  
    Are the MGA wires 15 inch or 14 inch?  Are you able to run tubeless radials on them?  
    Personally I would keep both (if I had the room) and restore the older one back to original condition.
    Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

MGA ran 15 inch wheels. You can get tubeless painted wires 60 spoke from MOSS Motors. About $225.00 a wheel.

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.