Neat 2.3 Ford Article

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Neat 2.3 Ford Article

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Hey Guys,

This is just a neat article I found about the 2.3 Pinto engine. It has some pretty cool info on engine performance and possible upgrades.

Just for fun    -enjoy!

http://www.mre-books.com/resto/restomod5.html

-Geoff

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Geoff,

Nice article! They don’t say much about my V6. Guess I’ll have to yank it out and get me one of those 4’s to be realy cool

Say, according to my calendar you car should be shipping next week. Let us all know when it arrives and hurry up and take some pictures of it before it melts

Rich

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

HaHa!

Trust me Rich, I am so excited to finally ship it, when it get here you will all be sick of seeing photos of the car! I feel like I’m in school waiting for summer vacation to start!

Happy Easter if thats your thing, if not, then Happy Sunday!

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Geoff:

Thanks for the link I enjoyed the article and tips

Mel

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine (before it’s name was changed to that) used to do an article a month for almost 2 years on “Alternative Engines”. People were sick seeing small block Chevies in every street rod I guess.

They did everything from mid-50’s Hemi’s, aluminum Olds and Buick V8’s (now Rover), to the Buick 3.8L V6. Not only did it tell you about the engine’s specs, they listed where you could get performance and stock parts, who the experts were on these engines and places to find them used.

The Ford “Lima” 2.3L was one of those engines. There is a place about a mile from my house called Modern Performance (West Long Branch, NJ) that was routinely makng over 500 hp with these little beasts using (huge) turbo chargers. Nick Manarino, the owner, mostly worked on the Merkur XR4Ti, which was 2.3L Lima powered. One made over 700 hp! He claims the bottom end of these 4 bangers are bullet proof to well over 450 hp before you have to start going to aftermarket connecting rods, forged pistons and such.

Esslinger in CA still produces methanol burning USAC Midget motors out of the Lima. They make over 400 hp normally aspirated (mechanical fuel injection).

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Nice bit of info Mark! It’s pretty amazing how much potential these little “4 bangers” really have. What a cool engine. I look forward to creating my own unique combination of mods on my lima. It seems like the perfect engine to experiment with. I still have alot to learn though, and will definitely share my success/failure with the group!

Regards,

Geoff

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Here is another article on getting the best performace from the Ford 2.3L engine

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/Ranger/index.html

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Hey all

While we’re on the subject of articles of interest,  here’s one that I have bookmarked.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3399471

Ringo

Ringo39916.5150694444

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

That’s why I love this group! Great articles, Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.